Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Pro Tools Express CPU usage freezing my MacBook.

Hi,

I am new to this forum so hoping I'm posting in the right location!!... Really need some help

I have recently purchased and installed an Akai EIE Pro running Pro Tools Express onto my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8. Installation was all absolutely fine...

However, when trying to launch Pro Tools Express, the MacBook first slows and then either freezes when the splash is at 'creating DAE objects' or if I get past that stage, will freeze when at the session creation selection stage... When I say freeze I mean its time to hold the power button down!

I have used the MacBooks activity monitor to look at CPU usage during launch - and it goes crazy - using 100%. Therefore I am assuming its this usage causing the problem? Although I don't like to assume when it comes to Pro Tools.

I have been through various troubleshooting and the un-installation/re-installation of both the Akai EIE Pro and Pro Tools Express.

Since I am new to Pro Tools Express through the Akai EIE Pro (used PT LE on a different setup in a previous life) I am feeling pretty clueless right now. My feeling (hope!) is that there could be relatively simple answer to this - and I can see that CPU usage/freezing is an issue with PT generally from googling.

Please can somebody help? I have spent months saving for this new setup only to sit down over Christmas getting nowhere!

Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Express CPU usage freezing my MacBook.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum

Have you installed the latest drivers for the Akai interface and made sure everything is setup correctly and optimized for Pro Tools?

Drivers here:
http://www.akaipro.com/product/eiepro#downloads

And some troubleshooting info here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Hi,

Thank you...

Yes I have installed the most up to date drivers for the Akai - still no luck...
Old 12-28-2013, 04:05 PM

I am now going to run through all optimisations in the troubleshooting link that you provided above with a fine tooth comb!

If I don't have any luck I will re-post. Appreciate the help, thank you...
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 AM

... Another piece of info that I omitted - I did have Pro Tools LE still installed on my MacBook before installing PT Express. However, I removed this with the uninstall software that came with Express, and it seemingly disappeared ...

Could there be other old PT LE files lingering that are causing issues?

Espin
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM

perhaps some of the help on this thread might be of use

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=346288

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much to both of you. I am now up and running!!! Feels good to get there eventually!!

The issue i think was the proper removal of old PT LE files still on my MacBook. Although I have also run through every optimisation and troubleshooting process known to man - so it could have been a couple of things, but anyway, its done and I am a happy man.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post. Its more than can be said for Akai & MAudio who claim to offer full customer support on their products - but seemingly do not reply to any correspondence.

You have helped me greatly. Happy New Year to you.

Espin