Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2024, 10:11 AM

Default Anyone good fixing Pops and Clicks - (I'm not a beginner user)

I have a Native card setup with two HD IOs. I recently switched back from a hybrid system of a Waves DLS with the HD IOs back to a true Native card setup with the pci avid hd native card and the two HD IOs. I use Studio one mostly but also use Cubase. They both have the same pops and clicks issue so it's not a specific DAW problem.

I get pops and clicks during recording and even when not playing (but record monitoring). Im currently testing with one mic to things simple. I'm on a 64 buffer and my pc is screaming fast (current year i7 and 64gb ram). My test projects are empty. No VSTs or plugins. Pops and clicks are intermittent and happen anywhere between 5 seconds apart and two minutes apart. Very frustrating. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both DAWS to no avail. Anyone experience this and have any ideas?

Additional Info - I tried to open Digitest and an error message came up. I can still record with the pops and clicks as mentioned, but Digitest currently does not open. It used to. The error code reads "cannot get digidaidevice for dsiDeviceindex = 0"

Last edited by JBQIII; 01-19-2024 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-19-2024, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Anyone good fixing Pops and Clicks - (I'm not a beginner user)

Sounds ike a clocking problem. How have you wired them and is there by any chance any sampling rate mismatch anywhere?
Old 01-19-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sounds ike a clocking problem. How have you wired them and is there by any chance any sampling rate mismatch anywhere?
It does, doesn't it? I checked sample rate mismatch immediately, as I've had that happen before. Unfortunately all checks out in both DAWS. I also checked my loop sync cabling and all looks good there. But to simplify, I've turned off my second HDIO so now it shouldn't matter. Just a HD Native Card and the primary HD IO.

More info - i tried to check things via digitest and I got the error message I added above. Usually digitest opens so I wonder if a recent update broke the card or system? The card's two leds still light up and the card still works somewhat, minus the pops and clicks. The error code doesn't makes sense to me. Maybe you understand it?

Error Code- "cannot get digidaidevice for dsiDeviceindex = 0"
Old 01-19-2024, 11:37 AM

Have you tried another digilink cable between card and single interface? That would be your minimalistic configuration, assuming card and one of the interfaces is good. Digilink carries clock you know...
Old 01-19-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Have you tried another digilink cable between card and single interface? That would be your minimalistic configuration, assuming card and one of the interfaces is good. Digilink carries clock you know...

Yeah, I've tried a different shorter cable (3') as well as disconnecting the other interface and I've tried both ports on the hd native card. Digitest still gives me the same error code. I've never seen this one before..
Old 01-19-2024, 12:21 PM

Tough nut to break. Can you also try different card slot? Hardware-wise that is kind of last thing to try that comes to mind.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Tough nut to break. Can you also try different card slot? Hardware-wise that is kind of last thing to try that comes to mind.
Unfortunately that did not make a difference either. Is there a chance the new HD Driver could be the issue? I'm unsure how that driver works...if it's just for Pro Tools software, or if it's for other DAWs as well? Maybe a roll back would help?
Old 01-19-2024, 06:52 PM

Driver may be an issue. Hardware problems are ruled out, assuming they are in working cindition.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Driver may be an issue. Hardware problems are ruled out, assuming they are in working cindition.
I tried rolling back to an older HD Driver and that did not work.

what's interesting is that Pro Tools as the DAW has no problems. I tested out a trial this afternoon to check, and Pro Tools Ultimate works perfectly. No pops and clicks at all.

But Cubase and Studio One both have the same pops and clicks. Does that help at all with any more ideas on what I could look into?
Old 01-19-2024, 08:42 PM

Again, likely driver issue as 3rd parties do not check Avid stuff. Keep rolling back to a version that works for you.

PT does not use HD driver, the card driver is natively built into PT instead. You only need HD driver with 3rd party DAWs.