Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2016, 01:18 AM

Default IK Multimedia SampleTank3 library location issue

I installed SampleTank3 Free and in order put the library on my external drive with all my other audio I had to create an alias in HD/Shared/IK Multimedia/(SampleTank3 alias). I opened SampleTank3 in Pro Tools and refreshed the libraries without any issues. I then attempted to import my own samples, which are located on the external hard drive. If I tried to do this directly, I would get the following error:

Error importing sampling /Volumes/LALLISON/Music production/Luke/Clap/._C1 Clap house.aif.

I then tried to be cunning and put an alias in HD/Shared/IK Multimedia/(Luke alias) but the file explorer in SampleTank3 just uses the end path of the alias rather than the alias itself as the folder, which just results in the same issue mentioned above.

Is there some way to use all samples on an external hard drive?
Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 AM

Default Re: IK Multimedia SampleTank3 library location issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeallison View Post
I installed SampleTank3 Free and in order put the library on my external drive with all my other audio I had to create an alias in HD/Shared/IK Multimedia/(SampleTank3 alias). I opened SampleTank3 in Pro Tools and refreshed the libraries without any issues. I then attempted to import my own samples, which are located on the external hard drive. If I tried to do this directly, I would get the following error:

Error importing sampling /Volumes/LALLISON/Music production/Luke/Clap/._C1 Clap house.aif.

I then tried to be cunning and put an alias in HD/Shared/IK Multimedia/(Luke alias) but the file explorer in SampleTank3 just uses the end path of the alias rather than the alias itself as the folder, which just results in the same issue mentioned above.

Is there some way to use all samples on an external hard drive?
Since you give zero system info like what operating system you're using I'm going to take a flyer from the .aif extension that you're on some form of OSX. I run the full version of ST3 and didn't have to enter any alias for the factory library when I installed it on my external drive. All I had to do was to point ST3 to the library location. And if you move the library afterwards just point ST3 to the new location.

I don't do much sample import into ST3 but have never had issues when I do. All my samples are on the same external drive that hosts my ST3 sample library.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 AM

I'm happy to hear that you are able to load samples from a different hard drive to the one you installed SampleTank3 on. However, it doesn't work for me. You're right, the alias isn't necessary for the factory library so I've just used the direct path to my external hard drive. It still will only accept imported instruments from the system drive though. I can import from anywhere on the system drive but not the external hd. Could it be to do with he fact the external hd is formatted as fat 32?

Last edited by lukeallison; 06-24-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I'm happy to hear that you are able to load samples from a different hard drive to the one you installed SampleTank3 on. However, it doesn't work for me. You're right, the alias isn't necessary for the factory library so I've just used the direct path to my external hard drive. It still will only accept imported instruments from the system drive though. I can import from anywhere on the system drive but not the external hd. Could it be to do with he fact the external hd is formatted as fat 32?
That's it. You still haven't said what operating system you're using nor have you confirmed my suspicion that you're on some form of OSX and that's crucial here. Why is that so hard to supply? And why is your external drive formatted as a Windows format? Unless you have a real good reason you're going to need to reformat that drive to a Mac native format.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 AM

I was biting my tongue after your first hostile response but seriously, come down a notch. It's abundantly obvious that I'm using a mac as you've already surmised. You replied to another thread of mine in which I explicitly stated this information a few hours prior to replying to this thread. Feel free to move along if you're getting too frustrated to speak civilly instead of actively seeking things to complain about.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I was biting my tongue after your first hostile response but seriously, come down a notch. It's abundantly obvious that I'm using a mac as you've already surmised. You replied to another thread of mine in which I explicitly stated this information a few hours prior to replying to this thread. Feel free to move along if you're getting too frustrated to speak civilly instead of actively seeking things to complain about.
I shouldn't have to reference other threads to find out what you're using. Suppose someone else who had no prior knowledge of what you're using came on and tried to help? They'd be asking the same questions I'm asking. Complete info is a must when asking questions here; or you could put your system info in your profile like a lot of people have started doing instead of having huge sig files.

What hostile response have I given you? I spoke honestly and if you can't deal with that then that's not my problem - I don't play politically correct with the precious snowflakes of the world. I know at least one other person that posts regular here who would respond to you in the same way - does the name Darryl Ramm bring anything to mind? I, like a lot of others here do what we do to try and help people but when they won't 'help us to help them' that's when things get testy and questions for info get repeated and help gets delayed.

Oh yeah - that thread you're referencing by the way you never responded to whether what was written worked or not. That would have been the 'civil' thing to do.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:57 AM

I may be wrong, but it seems when I tried to open old Sample Tank full version libraries on ST Free, it wouldn't open them. Seems the free version only opened the select samples you could download. Didn't play with it too much more, so, as I said I may be wrong, but it just might not work.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:56 PM
IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakbytes View Post
I may be wrong, but it seems when I tried to open old Sample Tank full version libraries on ST Free, it wouldn't open them. Seems the free version only opened the select samples you could download. Didn't play with it too much more, so, as I said I may be wrong, but it just might not work.
SampleTank 3 Custom Shop (the free version) now imports legacy libraries. Have you reported your issue to IK Support? I'm sure they could troubleshoot and assist you and figure out what is going on. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
SampleTank 3 Custom Shop (the free version) now imports legacy libraries. Have you reported your issue to IK Support? I'm sure they could troubleshoot and assist you and figure out what is going on. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
Do you think my issue could be resolved by using a NTFS formatted external drive instead of my current FAT 32 one?
Old 06-25-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Do you think my issue could be resolved by using a NTFS formatted external drive instead of my current FAT 32 one?
Why not use a Mac drive format like Mac OS extended (journaled)?

QAPLA!