Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Different sound the second bounce

I have a mix that I bounced over one day and burned on a cd thru the mac. then I wanted the vocal a little lower but very little---so the next day I fixed the vocal like I wanted, and remember it was probably only a 1.5 db change, but anyway then I made another bounce and burn to a cd. The whole mix sound more bass heavy and high end heavy the second go around without changing anything, only lowering the vocal 1.5 db. On my master fader I have two inserts I/O to a 31 band eq and also a compressor--but those settings never changed either---The only thing that was different the second time was my system hadnt been used the whole day like the other and was not as warmed up--doubt that was it--but Im serching for a easy reason---does anybody have any answers I can look for.
thanks
stix
Old 10-15-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Different sound the second bounce

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for why it sounds different... seems very odd.

However, I noticed that your Master Fader did not have a Dither plug-in on it. You should always use Dither when Bouncing to Disk, even if your file format, bit resolution, and sample rate are not changing.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:09 AM

Hi. just wanted to clarify a bit this dithering thing.

From the PT Reference Guide:

-quote-: "You should use a dithering plug-in when mastering to a 16-bit file with the Bounce To Disk command, or when mastering to an external device that records at 16-bit. This is even necessary when using 16-bit sessions. Even though 16-bit sessions use 16-bit files, they are still being processed internally at a higher bit rate: • 24-bit for Pro Tool TDM systems • 32-bit floating for Pro Tools LE systems For this reason, whether you are using a 16-bit session or a 24-bit session, it is recommended that you use a Dither plug-in when mastering to 16-bits. When mastering to 24-bits, it is not necessary to use a Dither plug-in." -end of quote-

The Dither and POW-r dither plug-ins don't even have the option to dither to 24 bit. And sample rate conversion is a different matter altogether.

R.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:24 PM

If that compressor was mainly driven by your vocals, then i´ts likely that, when you turned them down, the compressor opened up a little on the whole song.
Also if you have build your balance on louder vocals (reaching from maybe 150Hz to 5 kHz), taking them down should make freqs above and blow appear more dominant then before.

j