Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2024, 04:00 AM

Default How to disable the Avid ASIO Driver when using HDX

I cannot find this anywhere.

I want the Avid ASIO Driver uninstalled / disabled to test a problem with Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2 (I'm trying to run it independently of Pro Tools using Dante Virtual Soundcard ASIO, but it crashes when PT is launched) - but I cannot uninstall the Avid HD Driver as Pro Tools needs it. There's no settings for configuring the ASIO portion of the driver.
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:36 PM

Default Re: How to disable the Avid ASIO Driver when using HDX

I've been down the road you're going down right now. If Dolby Atmos Renderer (DAR) is open before you open Pro Tools (PT), then DAR will monopolize your Pro Tools HDX/HD Native hardware via the ASIO driver and will not allow PT to have it back, resulting in errors while attempting to launch PT. You need to launch PT before launching DAR to work around this. But that's just the first of the issues with this workflow. Get ready for full scale digital noise coming through Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) to the DAR. Some people have worked around this somehow, but at this point it wasn't worth the trouble to me with the then-upcoming internal renderer around the corner, and the latency inherent to DVS. I put a Focusrite Dante card into a secondary PC and that's what I can use whenever I absolutely need the DAR as opposed to the internal renderer.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:00 AM

Default Re: How to disable the Avid ASIO Driver when using HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
I've been down the road you're going down right now. If Dolby Atmos Renderer (DAR) is open before you open Pro Tools (PT), then DAR will monopolize your Pro Tools HDX/HD Native hardware via the ASIO driver and will not allow PT to have it back, resulting in errors while attempting to launch PT. You need to launch PT before launching DAR to work around this. But that's just the first of the issues with this workflow. Get ready for full scale digital noise coming through Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) to the DAR. Some people have worked around this somehow, but at this point it wasn't worth the trouble to me with the then-upcoming internal renderer around the corner, and the latency inherent to DVS. I put a Focusrite Dante card into a secondary PC and that's what I can use whenever I absolutely need the DAR as opposed to the internal renderer.
The fullscale noise is related to DVS Windows settings. It needs to be set to 32bit in DVS' "Options" (I worked that bit already out), but the troubles I'm having follow that.

I also have my old Mac Pro with DVS as a dedicated (albeit channel limited) Renderer machine, but I have 2 DAR licenses, and would want to be able to play back even unsynced material from the Win DAR installation, while PT is open, but even that won't work as DAR will lose DVS ASIO connectivity, if PT HDX is open....

(Use cases would include QC and comparing of several ADM files simultaneously etc)
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.