Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2023, 06:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: How to Reinstate Pro Tools 11.0 (No contract) perpetual license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Pro Tools 11 Perpetual Upgrade Update:

So I get a message from iLok that there's an announcement - it brings up the iLok License Manager to announce the 1/2 hour of maintenance on October 14th

I look in my available licenses and find Avid has deposited a 2 week PT Studio Subscription on 9/27/23 @ 12:09PM

I received no notification of this, but I guess they expect to have the upgrade license code from resellers working on their website within 2 weeks? I haven't done anything with this license yet, busy weekend, but I suppose I can start building the laptop up using this license.
Hi! If you purchased an upgrade code already please feel free to DM me so I can check it from my end.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 10-02-2023, 10:48 AM

Just going to chime in here on my upgrade experience. I had a perpetual license a while back, and had upgraded as far as PT 12.8. When it came to upgrading my Mac OS to Catalina, PT did not work anymore. At that time, I got a 2 year subscription plan from a reseller for $299. I figured that was a reasonable deal so I went for it. Come 2 years later, my subscription expired and I tried to upgrade to a new perpetual license.

Well, when I went to the subscription plan, I had to surrender my perpetual license. (I was aware of this at the time.) So when I got the code for the perpetual upgrade, I got an error message that a perpetual license was not available, and Avid could not sync the upgrade to my iLok account. I submitted a case to Avid, and they got back to me saying that I could not reinstate my previous perpetual license, but could either purchase a new one or renew my subscription. Since the renewal was half the price of a new perpetual license, I went with that, and will wait to see what program is available next year. Yeah, it would be nice to just buy it, but since I may upgrade my computer at some point and might need new PT versions, I wanted to keep some upgrade options open.

I'm not upset about it, I just feel it was not entirely clear what upgrade path I needed for my current situation. My reseller applied the purchase of the perpetual upgrade that didn't work to the new subscription, so all is well there. It just cost $100 more than I was hoping, but that is just the cost of doing business. I don't expect Avid (nor anyone else at this point in time) to provide software for life.

Anyway, I don't know if this applies to the OP in the thread, but that is how it worked out for me.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakbytes View Post
Anyway, I don't know if this applies to the OP in the thread, but that is how it worked out for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
The only way I’m going to surrender my perpetual license is if Avid pulls it from my cold dead hands.
I would never surrender a perpetual license - for any reason - other than upgrading to a newer version.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakbytes View Post
Just going to chime in here on my upgrade experience. I had a perpetual license a while back, and had upgraded as far as PT 12.8. When it came to upgrading my Mac OS to Catalina, PT did not work anymore. At that time, I got a 2 year subscription plan from a reseller for $299. I figured that was a reasonable deal so I went for it. Come 2 years later, my subscription expired and I tried to upgrade to a new perpetual license.

Well, when I went to the subscription plan, I had to surrender my perpetual license. (I was aware of this at the time.) So when I got the code for the perpetual upgrade, I got an error message that a perpetual license was not available, and Avid could not sync the upgrade to my iLok account. I submitted a case to Avid, and they got back to me saying that I could not reinstate my previous perpetual license, but could either purchase a new one or renew my subscription. Since the renewal was half the price of a new perpetual license, I went with that, and will wait to see what program is available next year. Yeah, it would be nice to just buy it, but since I may upgrade my computer at some point and might need new PT versions, I wanted to keep some upgrade options open.

I'm not upset about it, I just feel it was not entirely clear what upgrade path I needed for my current situation. My reseller applied the purchase of the perpetual upgrade that didn't work to the new subscription, so all is well there. It just cost $100 more than I was hoping, but that is just the cost of doing business. I don't expect Avid (nor anyone else at this point in time) to provide software for life.

Hi trakbytes,

I'll check your case as well on my end and I'll see what we can do about it.

Regards,
Charles
Old 10-02-2023, 03:40 PM

Thanks Charles, whatever you come up with, let us know!