Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2020, 06:21 PM

Default Audio Interface Upgrade - Recommendations?

Hi guys,

I’ve been using a MOTU 828 MKiii along with a MOTU 8Pre for recording, however I’m thinking of upgrading soon and wanted suggestions on audio interfaces?

Although the MOTU sounds good and is good quality, my gripe with it is honestly the CueMix software that I’m forced to use with it. It’s SO confusing in the way you set it up and the way it has things grouped, extremely counter intuitive. You have to mute certain things while keeping others unmuted and there has been too much trial and error for me to justify keeping it.

So I’m looking for an interface that is easy to use and setup. I want enough inputs to record a fully miked drum kit as well as record live rehearsals. I’m thinking 16 inputs would suffice, but would want them to have good preamps. Open to 2 separate units again, like my Motu 828 has the 2 preamp ins, and the 8Pre has another 8, so 10 ins with preamps, although in my upgrade I’d like 16 ideally. However probably 1 unit would be easier and more ideal?

What would you recommend? I’m considering the Focusrite Scarlett, are they as good quality as the MOTUs? Any other suggestions for easy to setup intuitive interfaces for the Mac?

Thanks!