How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 AM

Default Which Audio interface for an Imac & Low latency question

Hello there,

I switch from PC to Mac a few weeks ago, now I will need a new external audio interface for the Imac,

so as I'm looking into getting Pro tools too, I was wondering what latency (for playing virtual intruments in real time) could I get with non avid / m-audio, like maybe Echoaudio Fire4, Focusrite Pro14 or TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 or Impact Twin,

I always heard that FW interface was better & more reliable than USB, but I don't now if this is stil the case, please let me know your experience with IO card in that price range (200 to 300 € or $) & PT10 with Mac OSX Lion.

As I'm completely new to PT, should I be aware of specific things regarding how monitoring is handled, I'm used to do direct monitoring with other DAW, is this ok with PT10 (native version) ?
Old 11-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Which Audio interface for an Imac

I've been searching & reading some review and it seems that, for audio monitoring, if one is using an interface with core audio driver (non Mbox or other avid ...), you won't benefit from "Low Latency Monitoring mode",

is this still the case with PT10, the review was about PT9, here's the link :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan1...ro-tools-9.htm

Chapter : Monitor Matters
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Which Audio interface for an Imac & Low latency question

Being reading a review about PT9 explaining some "Low Latency Monitoring mode" option not being available for non avid I/O, is this still the case with PT10 ?

here's the link of the review from SOS (chapter Monitor Matters):
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan1...ools-9.htm#Top

this doesn't seems to be really a big problem if you are not recording too any tracks and/or takes as you can mute and unmute tracks, but could be prettty annoying in the end.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 AM

For things like that , Avid products seem to have the best specs .
PT does work with other interfaces but the best performance still comes from AVID designed interfaces when using PT.
I would get a AVID interface of some type because latency is higher with other NON AVID interfaces .
M AUDIO is no longer owned by AVID
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Being able to turn off input monitoring in ProTools is one of the highest requests on the IdeaScale that PT users have been begging for for what seems forever ... Yes, it's in every other major DAW.

You need to figure out a work-around for it. Most have been using a FREE plugin called MuteTone but there's been some problems with it lately crashing and there is work-arounds for that.

All depends on your workflow.

If you can deal with all of that, your only issue is the real-time VI that you're concerned about. This really comes down to the interface and if you can get the latency low enough that you're happy.

I'm going to venture that Firewire is faster than USB, is USB3 faster and is there new USB3 interfaces?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanx for your asnwers guys, I will take some time to digest them,

though usb3 isn't an option for my Imac & RME is probably too expensive,

I should have the oportunity to test the Avid Mbox3 by my part time job which is about e-learning and I manage them to order those Mb3 because of the soft limit option,

I will sure have a look at the Roland Octa Capture, it's good news to see that USB cards seems to have good results in term in latency,

@Evendiccier, did you actually had some experience with the OctoCapture (or other USB I/O cards), what latency could you achieve with Virtual Instruments without killing the CPU ?

Anyone had some feedbacks about Focusrite USB I/Os ?