Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2023, 07:08 PM

Default Avid Control - multiple profiles possible?

The pain of the "Avid Control version mismatch issue" after an unintended auto-update is terrible.

I understand that the absence of downgrades is "The Apple Way" on iOS.

It would be so much better, since we cannot downgrade, to have the AVID CONTROL have profiles for the last 5 versions or some such. While it would be a bit larger of a download, it would be so much better.

We are, after all, trying to work on music without frustrations and distractions.

Just a drop down menu, where we could select any version of Avid Control and manually "correct" the version mismatch with the present machine we are working on.

Engineers and iPads are often mobile and it's absolutely infuriating to learn all of the features of CONTROL only to have it be inaccessible at times.

Or, if you're not on an update plan OR don't want to update, Avid Control becomes inaccessible forever.

I just backed up my last iPad that still works with Pro Tools 2023.3 using iTunes. There has to be a better way for those of us paying $400 a year to use Ultimate.

Thanks for reading and any other tips anyone may post are very appreciated.

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 10-01-2023 at 07:12 PM. Reason: extra <br>
Old 10-01-2023, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Avid Control - multiple profiles possible?

No, because iOS won't permit this.

If it is really a problem then there are loads of Android tablets that are more flexible for OS rollback.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 10-01-2023, 11:46 PM

No hang on the question asked is not what you are answering.

It's certainly possible to build an iOS/iPadOS app that support multiple versions of a protocol and supports the required GUI changes withing the application. The app store requirements restrict many things, but that does not prevent what is being asked for here. Doing this would requires Avid to develop that capability within the application. That part is (*waves hands*) just software, and is absolutely not prevented by how Apple manages the app store or versioning of applications. What the OP is asking is why not implement the *obvious* solution to this problem...
Old 10-02-2023, 01:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmacdaddy View Post
The pain of the "Avid Control version mismatch issue" after an unintended auto-update is terrible.

I understand that the absence of downgrades is "The Apple Way" on iOS.

It would be so much better, since we cannot downgrade, to have the AVID CONTROL have profiles for the last 5 versions or some such. While it would be a bit larger of a download, it would be so much better.

We are, after all, trying to work on music without frustrations and distractions.

Just a drop down menu, where we could select any version of Avid Control and manually "correct" the version mismatch with the present machine we are working on.

Engineers and iPads are often mobile and it's absolutely infuriating to learn all of the features of CONTROL only to have it be inaccessible at times.

Or, if you're not on an update plan OR don't want to update, Avid Control becomes inaccessible forever.

I just backed up my last iPad that still works with Pro Tools 2023.3 using iTunes. There has to be a better way for those of us paying $400 a year to use Ultimate.

Thanks for reading and any other tips anyone may post are very appreciated.
Whilst this 'may' be possible, the massive amount of extra work for both software and testing would take that from features and bug fixing.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I especially appreciate EddieJones giving his response on the amount of work it would take to have "version profiles".
As Eddie has been really fantastic in guiding and helping Eucon continue to grow and improve.

But not being able to 'downgrade' through Apple really is terrible.

I would just postulate that if the older Eucon versions were "frozen" as they were originally released with their original names:

Then it would just be a matter of:
1. The installer/app download would contain the bundle of builds
2. a menu bar/taskbar item to select different builds to correct the mismatch error (if encountered) and it relaunches

A Common Scenario

Everything's is 'hunky dory' on your workstation. Then you have to update some other iOS App and Eucon 'somehow' gets updated?

I recall the previous Pro Tools Control App would sometimes update itself even with updates turned off...I don't think this can still happen with Avid Control, right? Because I now have 2 of my 3 iPads suddenly on 2023.6? But I swear I had Software Update turned off in the General preferences section.

My perspective on installers/updates
After 30+ years of Apple/Microsoft conditioning and training users to "continue/agree to multiple dialog screens" to be able to update/install anything.

It just seems shocking that these 'undoable upgrades' can just happen without any input or warning to you as a user.

The amount of frustration, buzzkill and bad feelings I, and I imagine others like me, feel is understandable only in first person, when it happens to you one day when you sit down to work.

Perhaps a Sticky Post? - Helpful Tips for dealing with iOS App Store & Avid Control
If it truly is 'too much extra work' to fix: Maybe there should be a sticky here on how to back-up your iPad & current Avid Control version using iTunes for the sake of fellow Mac/iPad users? It could avoid a lot of hard feelings.

Last edited by blackmacdaddy; 10-02-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-02-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmacdaddy View Post
It just seems shocking that these 'undoable upgrades' can just happen without any input or warning to you as a user.
They cannot. You have to have "automatically install app update" setting enabled.

Now one downside of the iPad is overall lack of user management, be careful who you let share your iPad.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:43 PM

I had a similar post recently.

Got me wondering if Android might be easier to deal with. Not sure about the Play Store but you can sideload an APK if you need an older version. Assuming that would work with Control?
Old 10-03-2023, 06:54 AM

I switched to Android for this very reason. Also for cost. 4 iPads would have been a very expensive investment.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
They cannot. You have to have "automatically install app update" setting enabled.

Now one downside of the iPad is overall lack of user management, be careful who you let share your iPad.
Ahh! I wonder if my 13-year-old son turned on updates for some game update?!? It's new iPad password time for me.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen! :)

I should know better. At least he's not stealing my car...yet.