Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Thumbs down Madi box and omni together 64 i/o

Avid,
The fact that i have to purchase an HDX2 just to run the madi box and an omni (for monitoring) together is ridiculous! I need to send 56 CH digital to the console on the dubstage and i need to be able to monitor as well. I should be able to do this with a native system! Please allow us to configure the madi box so that when its in 56 ch mode i can still add another 8 ch interface for a total of 64 ch. (within the spec of native). I dont want to have a rack full of I/O when all i need is 1 box and 1 cable to send to the console. I will also say that any session that can play back on a native system should be able to be opened on an HDX1 without running out of voices. I'm really not impressed these days (with the exception of ram caching, that feature is awesome, still not really worth the $1000 upgrade but clearly on the right track).
Does anyone else agree?
-Sam
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Madi box and omni together 64 i/o

as to interface the problem lies in the DigiLink protocol, that is not going to change
a box like this might help http://www.aspen-madi.com/detail.aspx?cat=48&pid=273

if your running out of voice on an HDX1 you need to look at your plug-in type order and placement. even though it's better Native after DSP and on Auxes will catch up to you at some point

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM

I understand how to use native and DSP plug ins and what order they should go in. It just seems ridiculous that a session that will play back with no problems on a native rig cant even be played back on an HDX 1. I understand there will be less of this as more and more plugs make the switch to AAX DSP, but it's kind of a joke right now. As to the digilink protocol being the culprit, it doesn't really matter to me why, it is just a huge oversight. I'm sure with some creative thinking it could be done. My gut says that avid doesn't want to make this work because they want to sell you an HDX 2. It's the same thing as limiting the omni's digital inputs to 8, it's all a matter of money. I really wish i wasn't so invested in this company. I like tools that make my life easier, and i dont mind spending good money to have them. However spending that much money on an HDX 2 seems like a huge overkill as i'm really just talking about a music playback rig on a dub stage. I would however like the option of having a 5.1 speaker setup or even just stereo and the monitoring section of the omni, not just headphones. After moving our editing systems from HD3's to native (which has worked out really well), i cant even go back to the HD3 for dubbing because it doesn't have enough voices. I know i'm going off on a bit of a rant, but this is exactly why most of avid's customer base that i speak to are pretty annoyed.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM

just remember:
Hollywood is a pay to play town

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM

This is true :) And i dont mind paying for tools i need. How about if avid would enable a second native card to be added to the system? That would allow 128 I/O. I'd still be buying the interfaces and a second card.... I just dont feel OK about buying an HDX 2 when i'm only using protools as a glorified tape machine in this instance and i dont need any DSP. Just Wishing......
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM

I have found the ugly truth as well, I need 48 MADI into Pro Tools, why can't I use a Native card and an HD IO in conjunction so I can mix and monitor the signals or even an omni.
32 MADI to one port Second Madi port out to HD I/O and out HD I/O to second port on the natvie card. Using 16 more MADI =48 and 16 HD I/O
I am told this cannot be done, although Sweatwater said it could be done this way but my guy at Alto called Avid and they said no you cant do it that way.

So I would have to replace the Native card with two HDx cards!!!
Is that really true that you cannot configure the MADI with another Avid interface, it can only do 32 channels on one port, while your second interface eats up the second port just to monitor pro tools.... wah wah....
Old 08-27-2015, 03:02 PM

When Avid has you by the b***s your wallet will follow.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:07 PM

I think you can use a Madi and omni together. In this config, the Omni mirrors the first 8 i/o of the madi.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-28-2015, 04:21 AM

you don't have to use your hd native card. you can use core audio or asio. or am i mistaken? i have an hd native system running with an core audio/asio interface. (got it from upgrading the production tool kit)
just check the madi interfaces from rme. if you use core audio, you can combine all kind of core audio interfaces into an aggregat device with more than 64 channels. if you need more than just 2 ch for monitoring you can combine an rme madiface and any old firewire or usb interface for monitoring in surround. or maybe a horus form merging. or an ax32 from dad.

Last edited by studiosus; 08-28-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosus View Post
you don't have to use your hd native card. you can use core audio or asio. or am i mistaken? i have an hd native system running with an core audio/asio interface. (got it from upgrading the production tool kit)
just check the madi interfaces from rme. if you use core audio, you can combine all kind of core audio interfaces into an aggregat device with more than 64 channels. if you need more than just 2 ch for monitoring you can combine an rme madiface and any old firewire or usb interface for monitoring in surround. or maybe a horus form merging. or an ax32 from dad.
Pro tools limits anything that is core audio or Asio to 32 I/o max.so he needs to use avid he native hardware
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme