Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 AM

Thumbs down Video Sucks! [solved]

I have done everything that I have found on forum and all of AVID's suggestions There is still no video in Video window all black and say No movie available. QT is in Safe mode. Using QT movie converted with QT Pro
done with Save as Small size file wize and picture. now video track also says out of range? What gives doesn't anyone use this crappy program to do Post or are the Claims of AVID and Universal and Warner Bros. Just more BS.
Working answers please. Dealer and Avid are no help.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Video Sucks!

You're on a custom PC, who knows where the problem is?
Can you play the file in the normal QT player? If not you have a codec support problem, nothing to do with avid/pt
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Audio Guy View Post
What gives doesn't anyone use this crappy program to do Post or are the Claims of AVID and Universal and Warner Bros. Just more BS.
Working answers please. Dealer and Avid are no help.
Nope, we all use it on a daily basis.

Don't blame your own lack of knowledge, on a perfectly good working piece of software.

Why don't you go ask the salesman who sold it to you,

Living the dream.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Files play back fine on QT pro so there is no codec problem but not in PT 10 they show up on track but not in window I have tried all the thing the dealer who know little to nothing about audio for video. AND FOR YOUR OWN INFO i HAVE BEEN DOING POST FOR OVER 30 YEARS BACK WHEN THERE WERE TAPE RECORDERS, 1" VIDEO AND WE LOCKED 8 TO 10 MACHINE TOGETHER FLAWLESSLY DAY IN AND DAY OUT I BET WITHOUT GOOGLE YOU COULD NOT TELL ME WHAT A NANOWEBER IS. KEEP YOUR ATTITUDE IN YOUR HAT IT HAS NO PLACE HERE WHERE PEOPLE EXPECT SOME HELP FROM THOSE WHO ARE MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE NEW TOOLS AND NOTHING YOU SAID DID ANYTHING TO HELP. SO KMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM

Brent thanks for your insite but this all worked last week and then stopped when I used the recommended QT Pro for converting MP4 to QT Movies
MP4 which are listed as supposed to work only show images in the track but not on the Video screen. When I converted them in Premerie thay all worked fine but not with Quicktime even though they play fine in Quicktime
Weird problem even the guys at Avid are stumped. I have checked everything and nothing seem to help. Maybe this supposed expert at Avid can find the problem. and again thanks for you insite without any attitude.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM

What compression did you use in QT Pro? I don't use it personally so i don't know the options, but if you can choose to export as a Mjpeg, DV25 or prores they should all work. I do get the odd codec that won't show up in ProTools, (Mpeg1 is always painful for me). Sometimes resizing the video windows gives some short term help, but its not a real fix.

and I remember 1 inch.....but not fondly.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Hey Bobby
Yea 1" was real fun not to bad if you used a Sony machine but anything else
what a bunch a hoops to jump thru. I don't know what compression I am using I am sure that has a lot to do with it but I cannot find those settings I have checked every menu cause I was lookin for that but could not find them any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can you say Adam Smith real fast 10 time?
Digital is easier in some ways but................ loading a machine and setting an offset was so much easier I have tested my computer for everything, and set all of the optimization setting Avid recommends but I think you are on to something about the compression used I just need to know where that menu is and I am doing a save as which doesn't give you many choices I could never get the export right in QT do you have a setting that works. Sure would like a copy. Oh yeah the MP4's are H.264 AAC it should work that is a standard isn't it?
Thanks again
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM

Hey Bobby
None of those formats are available in Export do you mean Export for the web?
Can't believe PT doesn't like H.264 would DV/DVCPRO-NTSC WORK?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Well at least I have found out it is a Codec issue I just have to find the right one that works or a program that has it that runs on Windows 7
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM

if it's hi-def I like photo-jpeg
if it's standard-def DV or mpeg-a is fine

the problems with mp4 and H.264 are:
a) CPU hogs
b) try scrubbing backwards with one, it jumps back to the last key-frame the shows all the frames between the key-frame and were you stopped. massively annoying
c) questionable frame reproduction

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig