Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexiz View Post
There is still one thing that I didn't quite understand and that isn't entirely clear from the FAQ. Do I have to purchase the PT10->PT11 upgrade from the Avid Store only, in order to qualify for the extended upgrade/support plan (through March 2016)? or I can buy it from another dealer as well? (or upgrades purchased through other dealers don't count toward the support plan? or they get us support but not the extended one?)

I'd appreciate it if one of the Avid representatives could clarify this. Thanks, Alex.

It is the same no matter where you buy it. The updated and discounted prices are now on the major dealer websites.

Plus, on the Avid webpage, at the bottom of the licensing requirements, it specifically says you can buy the upgrades through your local reseller.

But for peace of mind, if you'd rather talk to a knowledgeable person, I would probably buy from Sweetwater, rather than Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, etc.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
You've got some great software AVID, there's no need to treat your customers like enemies.
Perhaps not as enemies, just sheep, meant to be shorn. They're just not sure how much shearing said sheep will tolerate. The likely purpose for a partial release of information is to find that out. it's a no brainer for those who have yet to upgrade to PT11, those who already have are another story.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It is the same no matter where you buy it. The updated and discounted prices are now on the major dealer websites.
Thanks! Yes, but there in the Avid FAQ is also the wording: Only versions that are labeled, "Pro Tools | Software with Standard Support" include the upgrade/support plan. This is said to apply to new versions, and it's not really clear if the same terminology applies to upgrades. Prices on websites are now discounted to $199, yes, but nowhere does it say "Software with Standard Support" (What they have is just: "Pro Tools 11 Upgrade from Pro Tools 10").

(I'd be more than happy to buy directly from the manufacturer, but the Avid Store forces me to pay in Euro, not USD, at an odd conversion rate that makes my purchase $260 instead of the promised $199. I would not care about $10-15 extra, but $60 is just a bit too much). Indeed, this is all highly confusing.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Speaking as one of the sheep,.
Read the blurb outlining Avid's new definition of support as in: one phone call per month, one day turn around on support requests.

That's nice.

Have a similar plan with Microsoft... they are great about coming on line, will run virus scan's for you for days on end. But what they don't do is fix their operating system so it doesn't do nutty things like updating after you've turned that feature off.. (which has caused conflicts on more than one occasion) and they won't make their OS stop switching proprietary hardware drivers for outdated nonfunctioning windows versions..... That's one version of support... it doesn't really 'fix' anything.

Have a similar plan with Waves... called them just the other day. Their DRM isn't syncing. New version came out, uninstalled previous version, downloaded and installed the new version.. now it won't sync. They came on line, the plug ins still work inside a PT session so their solution was.. and I quote... "Don't worry about it" You understand though that this means that the feature of the support plan that causes the software to be updatable free of charge is now nonfunctional. Which in large degree means that the service plan I paid for was smoke and mirrors... no upgrades and no "support"..... that is, assuming that one's definition of support includes a 'fix' when problems arise or at the very least being pointed in the right direction toward that end.

Here's the rub with the Avid plan... and essentially the million dollar question.... Does 'support' include a 'fix'? Or at the very least.... help determining the source of the problem? or..(shudder) is it going to more closely resemble the two examples above?

If it does provide support (that is.. you know.. actually do something toward correcting the issues encountered).... then $199 is a small price to pay in my view as the entire software/hardware cycle of improvement is picking up speed.

When I isolate my rig its really stable. When I add hardware and updates it tends to be less so. Typically my first step is to address the provider of the recently installed hardware/software to seek insight into what changes their product may have made to my system which resulted in having problems that weren't there previously. If they help with that... I consider myself to have been supported.... otherwise.... well lets just say I have a sack full of descriptive adjectives to describe that type of behavior. I have no inclination to share my resources or become dependent on a provider of that ilk. But with very few exceptions... that tends to be the 'support' model one encounters these days (the smoke and mirrors model, rather than one that seeks to address actual issues)

Which camp will Avid be in?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Not sure if this was up earlier but apparently at $899 they are betting the sheep really like to be shorn...

http://www.avid.com/us/products/pro-...tcmp=AV-HP-S1a

Pro Tools | Software
Price: $899

Get the industry’s most trusted DAW for professional music and audio production. Your purchase includes:

• Pro Tools 11 and 10 licenses and software
  • AAX plug-in bundle, including over 60 virtual instruments and effects
  • iLok 2 USB key (for software authorization)
  • One year of Avid Standard Support
Coming soon...

Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
This is the point I'm not clear on at all. I already own PT 11. As I understand it, the $199 is to UPGRADE from a prior version to PT 11 and that the $199 gets you BOTH the upgrade to PT 11 AND the annual service contract, which will include any future upgrades through the service period. That implies that the service contract alone is somewhat less than the full $199 for those that already have upgraded to PT 11. So, how much is that? How do those who already have PT 11 purchase JUST the service contract, since clearly we don't need to upgrade?
The FAQs say that even if you paid $399 (like I did recently) for the upgrade, you still have to pay the $199 upgrade fee for a Support contract. Seems like they should only charge $99 for existing users of PT 11:

Q: I already own Pro Tools 11. How do I get access to upcoming product features and updates?
A: Moving forward, access to upgrades will only be available through an upgrade/support plan. Existing Pro Tools customers can take advantage of this upgrade offer now, at the time of the next upgrade release, or any time by the end of 2015. The current cost of this 1-year plan is $199.

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 11-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliebSR View Post
Does 'support' include a 'fix'? Or at the very least.... help determining the source of the problem?
That's generally what support means. If you talk to people that have made Avid support calls in the past, I think you'll find a positive response.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliebSR View Post
Here's the rub with the Avid plan... and essentially the million dollar question.... Does 'support' include a 'fix'? Or at the very least.... help determining the source of the problem? or..(shudder) is it going to more closely resemble the two examples above?
With the way they have handled bugs with PT11…I think I'm going to sit this "upgrade, support, blah..blah" plan out this time. Sorry, just a little disenfranchised…after the roller coaster ride it has been as of late. Reaper has been good to me.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM

What will happen when a new version of PT is released that includes bug fixes AND new features? Will the ones who have not purchased the support plan be left out of the bug fixes? Or will Avid have two versions, one with new features and one without?

I can see the problem of a release that included bug fixes that is not available to current owners if they haven't paid up.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKeys View Post
The FAQs say that even if you paid $399 (like I did recently) for the upgrade, you still have to pay the $199 upgrade fee for a Support contract. Seems like they should only charge $99 for existing users of PT 11:

Q: I already own Pro Tools 11. How do I get access to upcoming product features and updates?
A: Moving forward, access to upgrades will only be available through an upgrade/support plan. Existing Pro Tools customers can take advantage of this upgrade offer now, at the time of the next upgrade release, or any time by the end of 2015. The current cost of this 1-year plan is $199.

-dj
If that is where they settle on this I think I am done being shorn.

Closed Thread