Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Default Re: S3 only compatible with Maverick OSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemar View Post
I have a problem I'm betting a few others have run into. I've been a Pro Tools user since 2007, and until now I've been on a Mac Pro (2007). However I recently purchased a new S3 Control Surface, which its system requirements call for Maverick OSX, and isn't supported on Yosemite OSX yet. So I realized I need to upgrade to a newer Mac Pro to run Maverick, my Mac Pro is too old. But unfortunately new and refurbished Macs come configured with Yosemite. I know many of you are thinking "no big deal, get a Maverick OSX installer disc and downgrade the system". I thought that as well. However after talking at length with Apple tech, it turns out that as of Maverick they no longer shipped install discs, you simply can't get one, not even from Apple. It's simple if the Mac you have came configured (back in 2013) with Maverick on units of the time. But if you buy a refurbished one today (even if its hardware date is from 2013) it will have Yosemite installed on it by Apple, so its useless to me. And they won't ship one configured with Maverick (why, don't ask, their just not helpful that way).

Anyone else boxed in by this one? I'm currently sitting on a brand new S3 Control Surface that is nothing more to me than a $5k door stop right now. What I'd really like to hear is that someone else ran into this and has a solution. If your solution is "wait till Avid supports Yosemite for the S3 firmware", not an option. This is a working studio and I can't 'afford' to wait for that eventuality.

I'm really shocked Avid didn't look into the compatibility issue a little deeper before releasing this hardware. I mean, there have got to be lots of Pro Tools systems running on pre-Maverick systems hoping to get an S3, and I'm pretty sure any of those studios aren't looking forward to buying an S3 that they can't get a Maverick Mac to use it.

Tell me you have a solution, and I will give you my first born (no warranty on first born, you get what you get

Steve DeMar
Demar Development Studios
new: Pro Tools S3 Control Surface (makes a very nice door stop)
The solution is download a Mavericks installer from a friends Mac and install Mavericks.

Go to Yosemite when it's official supported.

I am staying Mavericks until it is but there is a option there for you to go back if you have a friend with Mavericks in there account.

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
10.8.5. is not qualified?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Compatibility

I am confused...
Sorry, that was confusing. What I should have said is that 10.8 is not qualified for AVB. We did test S3 control surface functionality with 10.8.5. But to reiterate, 10.9 and higher is our main focus for OS qualification with S3.
Berkeley, CA
Old 01-08-2015, 11:54 PM

et al,

Thanks for all the response on this. I am good now as I located a Mac Pro config'd with Maverick. In case anyone else is facing this challenge I found out that while Apple doesn't ship out install disc's for Maverick, if you have a Mac Pro that can run Maverick, most Apple stores have many of the older OSX images on internal servers, so they can service older models in the store in person. You can bring in your Mac and they will install at the store. I ended up getting a new Mac Pro and had the OS downgraded to Maverick (from Yosemite) to solve my situation. They were fine with that. They looked at me funny, but they did what I asked.

Mac, S3, and PT 11 working just fine now. I realize a lot of people here were a little off topic, covering Yosemite and Eucon with regards to Artist series gear. Be warned those configurations are not the same when it comes to what OSX, Eucon, and PT mixes that are supported for Pro Tools S3 Control Surface, which was my original concern. If you are reading this thread for either S3 or Artist Series controllers, make sure you note that in all the advice here, make sure what the responder is referring too. One does not cover the other. S3 is Eucon 3.2.1 and Maverick (10.8.5 - 10.9.3) at the time of this writing. However I can say that for me the S3 config works up to OSX 10.9.4, which is what I'm running it on right now. No problems, smooth as butter.

Now I need to go an update my configuration info for my signature

Steve
OSX 10.9.4
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools S3 Control Surface
Antelope ZenStudio interface
003 Factory console interface
Dangerous Dbox analog summing
PT 11.3.1
PT 10.3.9
11GB RAM
Old 01-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Avid

Thanks for the update, Steve. Great to hear you are up and running. Happy mixing!
Berkeley, CA