Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Volume automation when mixing

I write volume automation to a track and later decide to create a group which includes this track.

I then decide to change the overall volume of the group and notice that the track with automation does not respond to the change.

I know I can select the automated track and use the trimmer tool to move the overall volume automation up or down, but I'll bet there's an easier way to do this. For the life of me, I can't find this in the user manual.

Can you DUCers help me increase my productivity?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Volume automation when mixing

Hi Nick,

In that case I would Buss all the grouped tracks to a stereo Aux then automate that aux only. That w ay you can still do single track automations to each of the individual track, then do a group Automation on the Stereo Aux track.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 11-27-2004, 01:16 PM

Big D, thanks for the idea -- this is a good option for an automated track in a group.

Now, what if the automated track is not in a group? Is using the trimmer tool the only way to adjust overall volume of that track, or does someone else out there know of an easier way?
Old 11-27-2004, 01:32 PM

buss just the one track you need to adjust...
Old 11-27-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
buss just the one track you need to adjust...
Kinda kludgy, he needs to be able to alter the level of the entire group including the automated track. If you have say 4 vocal tracks, one has automation and you wanna adjust the overall level of all the vocals i'd bus the lot to a mono or stereo aux and use that to trim the overall level. If your relative balance between all the grouped tracks is good approach them as a single unit.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 11-27-2004, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Kinda kludgy,
No, just answering his most recent question:

Quote:
what if the automated track is not in a group? Is using the trimmer tool the only way to adjust overall volume of that track,
Old 11-27-2004, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:58 PM

Maybe asking to digi, i just post it here on duc before, to improve the volume fader options and consider to make a switch that let you make the fader work in relative mode.

I mean, an option to make the volume fader work as a relative controller and trim the volume of all the track even if ther is already an automation volume on that, this would let us program all the volume changes in automation and then let us trim the overall volume as if there were no auto on the track, lowering and rising the volume of a percentage on all the written automation.

Ciao

Old 11-28-2004, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Maybe asking to digi, i just post it here on duc before, to improve the volume fader options and consider to make a switch that let you make the fader work in relative mode.
Already exists as automation "TRIM" mode on TDM rigs.

Marcus
Old 11-28-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Now, what if the automated track is not in a group? Is using the trimmer tool the only way to adjust overall volume of that track, or does someone else out there know of an easier way?
there is a trim plugin that you can insert onto a track. i think its exactly what you're looking for - adjusts the overall volume of the track its inserted on without having to change automation data.

its mono only, so if its a stereo track, you need to select it from the multi-mono list of plugins.