Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: kick drum leakage! help

Quote:
Use samples. Download a demo of drumagog and replace each hit with a sample, or mix it in to taste.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:00 PM

Are you mixing a solo kick drum record?

How does the kick drum sound *with the rest of the kit*? A little bleed is totally fine provided it's not causing you any phase problems -- if you are obsessing over a solo'd kick drum i'd suggest you pull up a quick rough kit mix and work on your eq's in the context of the whole kit mix, remember you are recording a drum KIT not a collection of individual drums.

If you aspire to be a sound engineer don't fall into the "just replace it with a sample" cop out, learn the craft and spend time working on your mic choice and placement skills you'll become a MUCH better engineer.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Guys...

Listen to the poster, not to me!

This is his original post:

Quote:
I'm mixing a band and have huge problems with the kick drum..
The kick drum have a leakage from the snare and hats, wich i find impossible to delete.
I'm not bad at gating, but its impossible toget a good kick sound cause of the hat.
If i leave the leakage there, it will make the mix muddy and uncontrolled..

one idea is to cut out one kickdrum hit and paste it to all the other hits, but it should be a
easier way to do this!
He is obviously not the recording engineer, he is the MIXER. A mixer cannot "work on mic placement techniques." He has to work with what is given to him.

He has all ready made it clear that the leakage is not "good leakage."

The poster has expressed several times that he plans to manually replace every kick hit. He also has not expressed knowledge of the existance of such things as Sound Replacer and Drumagog. These tools would save him HOURS of valuable time. THAT is why I have made the suggestion I have made, as it is exactly what he is asking for, and is his best solution. Using the proper tools for the job is never a "cop out."

The posts so far have all contained good advice, but I think a program like Drumagog is the answer to your dilemma.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:31 PM

As i states on my first post
"If i leave the leakage there, it will make the mix muddy and uncontrolled..".
I dont mind leakage at all, but when the mic have been badly placed and cause way
to mutch bleed, it makes more damage than good..

Like i said, i'm doing the mix only, not the recording of the instruments.
I cant tell the band to go back and record the drums over again, i have to
do the best i can with the material i got atm

now; i tried ur suggestion sqkguitar, but if i did it right, it didnt help that mutch.

If the the samples is the only way out, is there a clever way to do this using the DFHS?
How is the most affective way to do this? to get it in 100% time without using to mutch time.

Thnx
Andy
Old 05-21-2006, 04:44 PM

exactly alexlakis.

I dont have drumagog, but drumkitfromhell susperior, and i think that will do the same as drumagog, right? The soundreplacer made me curious mate

I preciate the help, thnx
Old 05-21-2006, 04:54 PM

What programs like Drumagog and Sound Replacer will do is exactly what you want to do: Search a sound file for peaks and replace them with a sample of your choosing. These can work in the form of an Audiosuite plugin.

1. Highlight your bass drum track and select the sound replacing plugin of your choice.

2. Choose the dB threshold where you want the plugin to insert a sample. These programs allow you to choose multiple thresholds with multiple corresponding samples. For example, you could use a soft BD sample for a hit that is quieter, and a harder BD sample for a hit that is louder.

3. Create a new track and choose that as the plugins output. Choose 100% mix (meaning that the plugin will output ONLY the sample, not any of the original.) Now click process. This will create a new .wav file with just the sample. You can now mix this in as much as is needed with the original track, or mute the original track and use just the sample track.

Here are some links for you!

http://www.drumagog.com/default.asp

http://www.digidesign.com/products/d...roduct_id=1059

Not sure if Sound Replacer has a free demo, but I'm pretty sure Drumagog does.

DKFH and BFD are not "analysis" tools like these programs are. You could, however, use a sample from either of these programs with the plugins I've listed if they were converted properly.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I can use a sample from DFHS and mix it in, but that will take ages to implement. (6 songs even)
Unless there is an easy way to get those samples to match the original kick.

this is what your looking for

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post922747
Old 05-22-2006, 12:49 PM

Thnx for all the good advices, i got a feeling this willsolve my problems.