Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Default how much for beat detective upgrade that ppl like?

not that it involves me at this very moment but id say the beat detective posts have been some of the most debated and controversial posts in the last several months so im wondering why cant digi add a few more bucks to their upgrade price and give ppl all the bells and whistles of beat detective since its obvious thats what ppl feel they want and i thought it was said in other posts that basicly they are disabling some of the features in beat detective in order to give ppl the less desired version.......if its true that you cant use it on drums (the very source of the BEAT) its not hard to understand ppls disappointments with it but what do i know im just some guy from wisconsin with too much coffee in me chas
Old 11-27-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: how much for beat detective upgrade that ppl like?

What they have done is added beat detective to get us to pay 75 dollars for a SP2 compatibility upgrade and a ploy to buy HD. The Beat Detective they have added is basically USELESS!!!!!!!!!!! You cant use it on drums. This is what EVERYONE wanted it for in the first place. DONT UPGRADE! Its not worth it. I cancelled my order with Sweetwater last night. Im going with beat quantizer from Zero-x. Its 250 dollars but does everything the full version of beat detective does and more.

www.beatcreator.com
Old 11-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: how much for beat detective upgrade that ppl l

I agree with Rail from your other thread

There are so many other new things that make the upgrade worth $75; the list really is quite extensive. (and I honestly wish I had $75 to spend on it).

I'm sorry that you're disappointed that BDLE won't do what you thought it would, but honestly, they never advertised it as anything different. Give it a rest, would you? It seems like you have found a solution that works the way you want it to.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-27-2004, 06:06 PM

umm .. why not just use drummers that can actually PLAY
Old 11-28-2004, 01:02 AM

well dave weckal.....or anton fig or steve gadd hasnt walked in my studio lately so i guess i dont have the luxury of being that selective of who would want to come and record in my studio....my concern would be having the tools at my command to do things to make good recordings.i get your point though .why buy a digital reverb when you can just go set up in the grand canyon and capure the real thing right? seriously my friend if drummers with a perfect meter were that easy to find they wouldnt have invented beat detective in the first place ........my only point originaly was isnt there someway digi could charge a few bucks extra so they get to make some money and ppl who wanted beat detective full version can have it too and everybody is happy...........chas
Old 11-28-2004, 02:59 AM

Quote:
my concern would be having the tools at my command to do things to make good recordings.i get your point though
The best tool in your studio to make a good recording is the artist you are recording! The tools don't make the recording great, the performance does. If the drummer is sloppy and out of time, then the drummer is sloppy and out of time ... maybe they like it that way. This insistance by "engineers" to *FIX* everything is breeding this slew of musicians that just can't play mostly because they know some bonehead down the line will just edit them and make them feel better about it all.

Quote:
why buy a digital reverb when you can just go set up in the grand canyon and capure the real thing right?
Oh c'mon. Who in their right mind would want a canyon sized reverb

Quote:
seriously my friend if drummers with a perfect meter were that easy to find they wouldnt have invented beat detective in the first place ........
Who cares for perfect meter. What the hell happened to playing with feel! In the motown days, if the drummer couldn't play well they'd get a better drummer.

Get it right at the source.

Marcus
Old 11-28-2004, 06:43 AM

Quote:
well dave weckal.....or anton fig or steve gadd hasnt walked in my studio lately so i guess i dont have the luxury of being that selective of who would want to come and record in my studio....my concern would be having the tools at my command to do things to make good recordings.i get your point though .why buy a digital reverb when you can just go set up in the grand canyon and capure the real thing right? seriously my friend if drummers with a perfect meter were that easy to find they wouldnt have invented beat detective in the first place ........my only point originaly was isnt there someway digi could charge a few bucks extra so they get to make some money and ppl who wanted beat detective full version can have it too and everybody is happy...........chas
Chas,

Have you ever used the full beat detective? I'm afraid you would be very dissappointed in it as well. If you think it will fix a poor drummers performance with little to no effort on your part as engineer, you are gravely mistaken. With BD LE, they have given us the most valuable and usable features of BD.

The best results are often still achieved by doing it the same way wwe did with tape...make a few takes and splice the best sections together manually. Have the drummers in question practice very seriosly with a metronome while you're on lunch breaks and his timing should improve immensely. It only takes a few hours of practicing with a click to get used to it.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:10 AM

ive never used BD period.i did spend countless hours editing drums or trying to learn the process i should say and found it to be not fun at all and very time consuming to fix little nuences here and there and assumed BD was an option that we as individuals can decide if we have a use for or not..my own personal interest would be using it on my own drumming since im not really a drummer but lay a beat down now and then for song ideas etc......it would be cool to be able to quantize that at times and have the sound of live drums rather than my sterile sounding sr16 drum machine.or maybe just quantize a short section where the wheels come off the wagon...i assumed BD would be a tool like autotune for example where its not something you use on everything you do but its a tool at your command for when the need is there..

motown used that grand canyon reverb quite abit chas
Old 11-28-2004, 11:14 AM

what exactly is it that makes BDLE not work with drums? The fact that you can only use it on one trackat a time? Or can you only apply it to one track period?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:44 PM

The biggest problem with BD LE is that the majority of the opinions are coming from individuals who never used DB on a TDM system and have not used BD LE.
A lot of guessing or misunderstanding on BD in general.
How can someone evaluate BD LE without a clear understanding of BD?
Even worse is the fact that even if BD LE wasn't included in 6.7 there are enough other added features to make it worth the upgrade.