Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 02:28 PM

Default NO WAY BEAT DETECTIVE!!!? LE

Deleted. My excitement quickly turned to frustration.
Bah!

Old 11-24-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: NO WAY BEAT DETECTIVE!!!? LE

I just ordered it. 75 bucks is nothing to get Beat Detective. This is going to prove VERY useful. Guy at Guitar Center said there was a bug but i believe its in the OSX version and not windows. 75 dollas well spent! Im wondering if i will have to upgrade all my plugins as well? Anyone know?

Stan
Old 11-24-2004, 04:53 PM

Hi,

I didn't have any issues with plugins at all. So very cool.

Also be aware that the LE Beat Detective has a limitation in that it can only process 1 track at a time. But that is still a very cool program.

Have fun,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 11-24-2004, 08:42 PM

So on drum tracks if im doing 8 tracks or more of overheads etc will doing one track at a time mess with the phazing? Or will it stay consistant if im using the same settings? Confused

Stan
Old 11-24-2004, 11:53 PM

from what I understand, you couldn't use it on drums---all of the cuts need to be at the same places and it only cuts the first track in the group--it's still just a teaser to get you to buy the tdm system. I think you can use it for other things but editing drums is not one of them.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:10 AM

Ok well if i cant do drums with it then im not getting it. Im cancelling my order. I will go get the beat quantizer from zero-x!!!!!!!!! This is stupid. Beat Detective that cant quantize drums. Thats a definition of a useless plugin in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:36 AM

Yeah!!! Right on!!!!!!

Hey, Even better, find a HUMAN drummer who can play to a click and you won't need these super cool handicaps!!!!!!!!

Is it me or do some of these features give musicians an excuse to suck? Isn't a musician who corrects his playing with software no better than the Ahslee Simpsons of the world? What happened to practicing? Depositing $.02...
Old 11-27-2004, 03:52 AM

most drummers have mediocre timing and need to be fixed. Im going to be recording other people so if they are terrible i want to be able to fix them fast. This beat detective LE is useless. I need and app that can do it fast and the whole drum kit not just one track. So im going with beat quantizer from zero x. Its 250 dollars but it does as many tracks as you like. I dont understand why digi didnt offer it as a full add on plugin that we could purchase. Id have gladly paid 250 for it. What was the point of even adding BD LE? I know excactly why. To get people to fork out almost a hundred bucks for and otherwise pointless upgrade. You basically paid 75 bucks to get a piece of software that works with Service pack 2. I honestly dont think we should pay for compatibility. It should be free. They put beat detective in and everybody goes wow Beat detective! They fail to read that its limited and buy the upgrade like i almost did. Man is a full version of beat detective too much to ask? They must really think its going to kill their HD sales. I can see their reasoning but it just ticks people off in the long run. I think they should have just left it out completly. This is a 75 dollar demo basically. Im a prime example of a really annoyed customer. I think alot of people will become annoyed. We begged for a solution and they gave us a prop to sell their HD systems. Theres alot of stuff i really dig about this 002r but this is just ridiculous. They knocked out two birds with one stone though if you think about it. They basically tricked alot of people into buying the upgrade and they made existing users drool for HD even more. Ya sorry pal but you can just begin to see what you could do if you forked over 15 grand. I could care less about track count or DSP processing. I just want a full version of this app. The full version is so great. Anyways im done crying about it.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM

Quote:
most drummers have mediocre timing and need to be fixed.
you're kidding me right ... that is the most ridiculous statement i've heard on the duc in a while In MY experience, there's some incredible drummers out there who spend time PRACTICING their instrument and strive for good solid playing.

Quote:
Im going to be recording other people so if they are terrible i want to be able to fix them fast.
Why not just get a monkey to press record instead then. Seriously, if you were a half decent engineer you would've at least heard from rough demos,gone and sat in on a rehearsal or even seen them play live. If the band have playing issues YOU SHOULD BE suggesting they spend some more time working on their playing constructive cricitism to help the band move forward is a much more constructive way of improving their band. Simply "fixing" their problems is a band aid solution that results in a really crappy sounding processed record, the band will still suck live and will have not learnt that they need to work on their craft.

Quote:
What was the point of even adding BD LE?
You can use it to create tempo maps, if you are creative you can actually use it to tighten up multi-track drum takes with a bit of lateral thinking and a couple of extra steps.

Quote:
I know excactly why. To get people to fork out almost a hundred bucks for and otherwise pointless upgrade.
There is SO MUCH MORE in the 6.7 upgrade than Beat Detective .. get over it man

Quote:
They knocked out two birds with one stone though if you think about it. They basically tricked alot of people into buying the upgrade and they made existing users drool for HD even more.
FFS are all the bands your recording so terrible that you need beat detective that badly. Maybe you should seek alternative employment, or maybe work with better bands. Quit your whinging and stick to 6.4

Marcus