Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Default Factory Presets...any reason they are locked?

Just wondering, I mean some of them are pretty good, but I've never been one to always color in between the lines and being forced into having that many patches basically uneditable doesn't make me feel as special as I could.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Factory Presets...any reason they are locked?

The 11R isn't the only unit that does that, as there are many units that have User and Factory presets where you cannot overwrite the Factory presets...UNFORTUNATELY! My Digitech TSR-24S won't allow me to overwrite the Factory presets either.

And I agree with you in that I would like to have that option!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 AM

I would like to have the option to globally zero all the factory presets out and overwrite them. Or to overwrite any individual preset possibly with a combination of key presses. I realize that some hard work went into these bur frankly I would rather start building each preset from a blank state.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM

It just seems to me like if I went out and bought a new computer in order to edit video together, brought it home and it has the ablility to make 10 movies...but 5 of them have to be made using the homevideo footage that someone else already captured to the hard drive....and I can't use that space....or delete that video.....ever.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
It just seems to me like if I went out and bought a new computer in order to edit video together, brought it home and it has the ablility to make 10 movies...but 5 of them have to be made using the homevideo footage that someone else already captured to the hard drive....and I can't use that space....or delete that video.....ever.
Something like that. I just want a blank sheet of canvas.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Technically, the factory presets are in memory that can't be written. Don't know whether that helps you, but at least you know there's a reason behind the behavior...

You know that the user presets start out as copies of the factory presets, right?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Yeah... I think we're out of luck on this one... hope I'm proven wrong in a future update! :)
Eleven Rack + ERXP
Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 AM

I remember this was the default behaviour for some of the older Line 6 stuff (the original Flextone, I believe, but maybe the Flex II or POD). Due to popular demand, Line6 made an update available that made the factory presets overwrite-able (is that a word?). Line 6 firmware maintenance updates have always been free (and some have included new amp and FX models, and other additional features), but at that time, the updates were done by replacing the EPROM (on request, Line 6 would send the new EPROM - they didn't even charge you postage).

I don't know if the 11R uses a similar architecture where the factory presets can be made writable by a firmware flash, or if the factory stuff is stored on a physical read-only memory (ROM) module. At any rate, think of it this way - we could have been given 104 memory locations, without the factory "starting points"...
Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
At any rate, think of it this way - we could have been given 104 memory locations, without the factory "starting points"...
Yeah, but I know deep down that it could have been 208 That's twice as much via my impressive high school math skills.

I will say one thing here and drop it. I am pretty sure that the firmware update changed some of those stock patches. If that's the case then they seem to be able to be overwritten in some manner. If that's a completely different way than the user banks that's fine, but I'd still like to see a way to nuke them and use my own in there if possible. I mean I'm not full up or anything, but I would like to have some more 'in progress/working' banks in there. At 4 patches per bank, set up on a per song or style basis I can see myself running out of spots. And I'm usually a 10 preset or so guy in real life.

I don't know, I just don't like to color in the lines all the time.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but I know deep down that it could have been 208 That's twice as much via my impressive high school math skills.

Quote:
I will say one thing here and drop it. I am pretty sure that the firmware update changed some of those stock patches. If that's the case then they seem to be able to be overwritten in some manner.
You've got a point there. I think some of the presets WERE overwritten in order to insert some that use the new models.

Who knows? Maybe with some "encouragement", Avid can make them editable or overwrite-able...