Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Pro tools HD9 Run with Apogee ensemble

PT 9 software is all the same. The version you have access to depends on what Ilok license you have.

If you have a 9 license your PT 9 opens as PT9

If you have a 9hd license it opens as PT 9 HD regardless of whether or not you have HD hardware installed. The difference is that you are limited to 32 i/o, and no input monitoring and no HEAT or TDM plugs. These perks are only available to those with HD cards installed. The pt9hd when running on a computer without hd cards is in essence the regular PT 9 plus the CPTK2 (this gives you 95% of what having it run a computer with HD cards give you) but it still opens as "PT9 HD".

Hope that helps.

Same software, ilok asset unlocks different feature sets.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencd View Post
PT 9 software is all the same. The version you have access to depends on what Ilok license you have.

If you have a 9 license your PT 9 opens as PT9

If you have a 9hd license it opens as PT 9 HD regardless of whether or not you have HD hardware installed. The difference is that you are limited to 32 i/o, and no input monitoring and no HEAT or TDM plugs. These perks are only available to those with HD cards installed. The pt9hd when running on a computer without hd cards is in essence the regular PT 9 plus the CPTK2 (this gives you 95% of what having it run a computer with HD cards give you) but it still opens as "PT9 HD".

Hope that helps.

Same software, ilok asset unlocks different feature sets.
This is the correct answer. PT9 is now a universal installer for all versions. Really. The differences are in the ilok licenses and hardware attached. It breaks down to essentially 3 versions.

PT9HD. This has all the bells and whistles. Requires HD hardware and it's I/O limit is determined by which cards you have installed. The exception is HD Native. It can only have one card, is limited to 64 I/O, and has no TDM processing.

PT9+CPTK. This has most of the features of HD, but is limited to 32 I/O. This is what you get if you have an HD license and run it on a system without HD cards.

PT9. This is the base version and will run on just about any hardware.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM

Does anyone have the Ensemble as a stand alone with pro tools 9.
Has it been stable for you? I am thinking of going for it.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Hello I just recently made the switch to PT9 and I am running my apogee ensemble with a 08 pre uni macbook pro 2.5 ghz. It has run flawlessly for me and the 64 buffer is perfect for me, no problems. IF you do a search you will see that others have reported no problems. I run my apogee off the 400 port and my hard drive off the express card.

Good Luck
Old 03-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info, I have had problems with two new Mbox pros and thinking about moving up to the apogee.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Well Avid sent me my third Mbox pro, I'm hoping this one will be ok if not I will return it, but I just realized that I may have screwed myself because the first Mbox pro came from my pro audio store, and they would refund me if I'm not happy with it but I have know idea what Avids policy is. The thing I like about the design of the Mbox is it has inputs on the front of the unit and gain knobs.
The apogee is software based for adjusting gain or you have to assign the pre amp to the knob on the front which seems to be a bit of a pain but maybe not, I have never used one, it's also over twise the price of the mboxpro and I am happy with the sound of it when it's working properly. I really don't need eight inputs for my home studio as I don't track drums here and eight inputs isn't enough for me for drum tracking. I do drums at my friends studio who has a full hd setup, great mics and mic pres.
Avid shipped the new Mbox pro to me overnight which was nice but it arrived in an Mbox mini outer box and I thought for sure it was not an Mbox pro so I was really upset and was about to ship it back until I called Avid and they said they would need the serial number from the mini. When I opened the shipping box low and behold it was a Mbox pro inside a brown mini shipping box. Funny! Haha. I have to say they have put me through the mill with this one, a lot of waisted time on my behalf, it be nice if they threw me a free plugin or something but thy have not offered any compensation for all my lost time. If this one is not working I hope they will refund me or perhaps my store would take this unit back and then I would get the apogee.
I will run it through some tests today. Wish me luck.... I know it needs a firmware update to fix the issue with the meters.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Does anyone have the Ensemble as a stand alone with pro tools 9.
Has it been stable for you? I am thinking of going for it.
I hope it's not too late!

DO NOT BUY PT9 if you want to use it with ANYTHING but their very expensive hardware. I didn't do enough research and I got stuck with pt9 literally wasting space on my hd.

I have an Apogee Duet and I might as well have 10 Ensembles it's all the same. You cannot disable input monitoring in PT9 so whatever 3rd party hardware you have YOU WILL HAVE UNUSABLE latency. Basically even at 64ms you will hear robots in your cans. No way a snappy guitar player or vocalist will deal with this.

The problem is is Avid put all their eggs in one basket - crazy hardware that pumps the bus fast enough that your ear won't hear the latency. That's all well and good if you spend big bucks to buy their gear but even their big $ hardware can't compete with the childlike simplicity of tapping the signal at the source i.e. ZERO latency.

You will be sorely disappointed if you buy this product and try to overdub anything.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 AM

Fwiw, it's 64 samples, not 64 milliseconds. And is really almost imperceptible. I have tracked through the built in sound card of my MacBook pro at 128 samples and it's okay. I also use a line 6 gearbox when I'm just laying down scratch tracks on guitar. So it is very usable with non-digi/avid interfaces. Is it ideal with them? No. Can it be done? Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM

MAN FROM SPACE

If a vocalist is standing 2 metres behind an on stage monitor or a guitarist stands 2 metres in front of the amplifier they are allready used to dealing with latency approx 6 milliseconds. Sound travels approximately 1 metre in 3 milliseconds. So sometimes a small ammount of latency isn't as big a problem as some perceive it to be. In my case as I track using an Eleven Rack I do not suffer any latency whatsoever.

LAWNLAND
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWNLAND View Post
MAN FROM SPACE

If a vocalist is standing 2 metres behind an on stage monitor or a guitarist stands 2 metres in front of the amplifier they are allready used to dealing with latency approx 6 milliseconds. Sound travels approximately 1 metre in 3 milliseconds. So sometimes a small ammount of latency isn't as big a problem as some perceive it to be. In my case as I track using an Eleven Rack I do not suffer any latency whatsoever.

LAWNLAND
Actually "ok" doesn't cut it and LAWNLAND I hear you but if you own a 3rd party hardware like an Apogee or anything else you will hear an annoying doubling in your cans when recording. You can mute the input for the first take but if you wish to overdub you'll have to unmute and you'll have the signal go through your system and that will cause it be slightly behind the signal that is being sent to you from the source. At the lowest sample setting you'll still hear a "robotic/metallic" annoying sound in the cans.

In all other DAW's you can simply turn off software monitoring and you can set your buffer to whatever because it doesn't matter anymore. You're monitoring at the source with no latency and no doubling.

This is a very simple answer to computer recording. It's not my idea. It has been around for a very long time - except for PT users.