Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2002, 10:29 PM

Default Anyone use SiS chipset? Normal CPU usage?

I'm new to pro tools and the DUC. I know Digi says the 001 is incompatible with the SiS chipset but I was wondering if that's true of every single SiS chipset? Is anyone using them? I have a Sony Vaio RX850 which has an SiS chipset and I just bought the 001 and it seems to work fine. The only questionable thing is the high CPU usage, which leads me to my next question: If you open pro tools LE with nothing else running what should be the normal CPU usage? My system - XP, P4 2.4, 512 RAM - shows PTLE at 95-100% CPU usage when i just open it.

Another ques: will a 5400 RPM work ok with the digi 001? (I know DigiDesign says to use 7200rpm).

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Anyone use SiS chipset? Normal CPU usage?

Here's your answer from Keny on the forum a few months back:
Regardless of percentage chosen by the Playback Engine > CPU Usage Limit, Task Manager shows 99% of the CPU being used by Pro Tools LE when Pro Tools LE is running. The Task Manager measures CPU usage by keeping track of how much time an application spends “doing nothing.” Pro Tools LE is almost always “doing something,” and although this confuses Task Manager’s measurements, it shouldn’t directly affect the performance of other applications. The CPU Percentage shown by the Playback Engine is an accurate representation of the true amount of CPU utilization in a session with RTAS plug-ins. Ses-sions without RTAS plug-ins will utilize the CPU only lightly during most Pro Tools LE operations.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Anyone use SiS chipset? Normal CPU usage?

Illfi, as I recall, there were some problems with the some SIS chipsets in the past. It was a bit strange, because the an earlier SIS chipset would work OK with Win98, but didn't work under XP. So, if what you say is true and that you are able to open PTLE 5.3.1 in XP with a SIS651 chipset, then perhaps past problems have been overcome with this newer version. So, you have some very interesting information here that could be of use to other people considering upgrading or buying new systems.

The best thing that you can do is to run your system through the Davec test and post the results in the PT Performance thread. The results will tell you how your system does in comparision with others using the P4 2.4 ghz CPU and other chipsets. This will be valuable information to both you and others. And you will know if you have a gem, or just another dog.