Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2002, 09:02 AM

Default anyone use a blue and white G3 w/ PT

Hey,

I am pretty new to the PT world (hoping to get one soon) and audio on computers. I have a blue and white G3 and will probably get a 001. Is it terribly slow and annoying to run PT on a blue and white G3?

I apologize for the beginner ?s and have been criticized on DUC before for asking them. But thanks.
Mac Mini (m1, 2020)// OS Monterey// Clarett +2Pre// Pro Tools Studio 2023.6.0
Old 10-07-2002, 09:32 AM

Default Re: anyone use a blue and white G3 w/ PT

Yes. I have a B&W 450Mhz...

It runs great, although you definitely are wanting in the power department... more always being better. But if you bounce occasionally (to conserve CPU bandwidth and use more plugins) you'll be fine. Runs great.

X
Old 10-07-2002, 09:58 AM

Hey Notr,

I gotta G3/350B/W with an mbox and it's great for doing what I want - edits from TDM sessions at home, however I do find it neccesary to clean up the audio regions bin regulary, that seems to improve performance considerably but one must be carefull to not trash anything required at a later date, also a good amount of RAM and a good IDE drive (Barracuda etc..) work wonders.

Newer G4's are pretty damn quick and will be even more so in OSX, but for OS9. tools work the G3 is a solid and reliable machine that has done exactly what I want it to, without complaint.

Be sure to get a machine that is OSX compatable though, (400 plus) IF you ever want to upgrade.

-- -- -- ---- ---- ---- -- -- --
Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 AM

I also have a 450mhz B&W G3 for my 001/PTLE system. Its OK, but with lots of tracks and plugins I hit the wall. I am looking forward to a faster machine soon. Fast CPU will generally give you more tracks and plugins.

dave patterson

Quote:
Originally posted by X-man:
Yes. I have a B&W 450Mhz...

It runs great, although you definitely are wanting in the power department... more always being better. But if you bounce occasionally (to conserve CPU bandwidth and use more plugins) you'll be fine. Runs great.

X
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-07-2002, 05:24 PM

I am using a B&W 450, I've done full band stuff with it, ie.. 10 mics on drums, couple on bass, stereo acoustic guitars, multiple vocals...

The main thing I find my self doing is using audio suite to apply effects and then deactivating the plugins. This can become a bit of a pain.

Also you can only get maybe 2 or 3 reverbs at best with a full session.

I guess the answer is that it will work fine but not as smoothly as a faster computer of course, which can definetly affect the mood of your mixing session.

It's a good place to start for sure but I will upgrade as soon as I can though.

Peace,
Jason
Old 10-07-2002, 06:18 PM

Reverb plugins are a major CPU drain, so I prefer to use outboard reverbs. Yes, there is some latency, but I don't mix my reverb very heavy, so its not a big concern.

I agree that processing tracks with Audiosuite is a pain, and you have to keep the original tracks if you want to reprocess them, which takes up double the disc space. Getting the faster computer you can afford makes a lot of sense, and I intend to upgrade soon.

dave patterson / knobville
Old 10-08-2002, 12:16 AM

I have a G4 now... but I spent the last 2 years with a faithfull G3 350 BW and 001........ It's great man.. you can do music with it....don't worry !
Good Luck [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 07:19 AM

Thank you very much for all your opinions. I just read a bit B&Ws from the Digidesign site that says it requires 9.04. I was wondering what OS you all used.

So I first have to get OS 9 before I get 9.04 (or any other one higher), right? Sorry for the basic ? Thank you very much.
Mac Mini (m1, 2020)// OS Monterey// Clarett +2Pre// Pro Tools Studio 2023.6.0
Old 10-08-2002, 08:39 AM

If you can get 9.2.2 (the last version of OS 9 I believe) it is worth it, I think. I've found this version to have much improved firewire drivers... that is to say... the Glyph drive I use behaves behaves better.

good luck:)

X
Old 10-08-2002, 02:01 PM

I'm a b&w 300mhz, 320MB RAM, external Firewire drive user with Mbox. My advice:

If you have a REV 1 Mother board, get a PCI Firewire card and external firewire drives!! No SCSI, No extra ATA drive. THen you will rock and roll. I went through missinformed attempts to upgrade with a second ATA drive and then with a SCSI Setup no way.

Then I went the SCSI route, compatibility issues and PCI bus difficulties. LVD, Ultrawide, wide... NOT WORTH THE EFFORT!!

Go with a PCI Firewire card, an external Firewire enclosure with the 911 chipset and use a cheap 7200rpm ATA drive in the enclosure!

Don't make my mistakes. Now I'm BALD!

I get 24 track performance and I'm upgrading to a Altivec G4 Processor ziff very soon.

Enjoy!