Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2002, 02:24 PM

Default I\'m not a PT user yet . Need your help and ur wisdow

hello there , folks .

This is my first post . hi all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sorry 4 my mistakes but english is not my native language , but i will try to explain my situation .

I'm upgrading my own studio . I have a cash to spend and i'm looking for ansewrs ( aren't we all ? )
Anyway , i would like to know a few things from you , PT owners and users .

I own some outboard stuff - compressors , reverbs etc - Am i able to use them in REAL TIME inside protools ? What about the latency ?
Take a look .. i'm not talking about " open a new track and record the signal 100% wet and etc " , like i said , real time , just like a real mixer . especialy , the use of external compressors as inserts . can i do this in real time ?

The reason for all these questions is : I don't know if i spend some money buying a digital mixer , to track and mix .
How many of you guys , mix inside PT , using only a mouse and a keyboard ? Isn't a litle uncomfortable ?

well .. questions , questions , questions ... i'm going crazy here .
Should i spend my limited money buying a digital mixer to track and mix ?
BTW i want a mixer to still have acess to my outboard gear . I already own a digital mixer but it sucks . It will be an upgrade .. or not . Is up to me .

I have to decide and i'm sure i can count with all of you .

Hope to hear from you , folks

Take care all [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gus77
Old 05-22-2002, 02:50 PM

Default Re: I\'m not a PT user yet . Need your help and ur wisdow

Just to make myself clear .

I have 2 ways to decide :
Don't buy the mixer and by a HD system .
Do not buy a HD system and buy a digital mixer . I'm using nuendo and 2408 . Yes , i think it's a pretty daw amazing DAW .

But i have a partner now , we were talking about this and that , the demand , customers asking 4 PT ... i think you now what i mean .

The crucial point is : The outboard gear ( like i said in my last post ) .

Iv' tried to use the PT free to give it a try but i can't make it run 100% fine . Maybe , the digi hardware .

Cya
Old 05-22-2002, 03:00 PM

Hi Gus,
I'm going to avoid trying to pass an opinion as to whether you should or should not mix inside ProTools. Instead, I'd like to tell you that what you're asking about is entirely possible. You can use the hardware interfaces with your system just like you would any other patch point on an analog console. You can send from and return to the analog or digital ins and outs very easily. From that standpoint, a digital mixer is not necessary. The only drawback to using a lot of outboard processes is recallability. The ProTools software will recall the session exactly as it was saved, but any outboard gear would need to be recalled seperately, just like always. I hope that helps. There are no shortage of opinions on this board (and that is not a bad thing), so I'm sure somebody will have more to share with you.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:16 PM

Thank you Shawn .
Ok .. you said yes . i can use external effects as send or inserts .

But what about the latency ? No latency ? 100% real time just like an analog mixer ? No " open a new track , record the signal 100% wet then blend it with the original signal and bla bla bla "

What about my external compressor in real time ? How it will be processed ? Digidesign secrets ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

wow .. there are great news .

Bring me more , folks .
thanks all
Old 05-22-2002, 03:30 PM

The main place you will incur latency in this type of setup is in the conversion. I've used outboard compressors many times on vocals without doing anything to correct for the latency (shame on me), but I never even noticed it. The ProTools system is capable of creating an insert on the track that uses an i/o pair to send to and return from your outboard processor. The signal will flow will ultimately be the same as your analog console.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:11 PM

Gus,

A big point to notew, is we are talking latency at the SAMPLE level, not usually noticable on a track in a mix ( ie: a vocal, etc) There is no real percieved latency with using analog inserts in this manner ( you put a comp on the bass, it is still in time, etc)

just make sure you get enough interfaces to handle your inserting needs.

Cheers
Old 05-22-2002, 04:44 PM

I get your point . There is a latency , but it is .... musical [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good to know , folks .

And yes , i was thinking about the number of ins/outs and what i need .
For now , give me 8 analog points and i'm just fine . 2 reverbs = 4 points . I still have 4 points left . Just fine . i don't own more than 4 compressors that worth more points [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Thank you a ot for your help , folks ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Is there anyone out there who wants to post more about this ? . Bring it on !

Gus
Old 05-22-2002, 05:42 PM

Gus, the latency you will get is probably the same you would get with a digital mixer (conversion issue). It never bothers me.
This "record the wet and blend" technic was never necessery. You can create an auxiliar input.
I prefer to do all my mixes inside PT than those digital mixers out there. I should switch PT, only if Im able to use a good Neve, trident or some SSL models.
The same thing with plugins...PT plugins can really do the job., if I dont have a 480L or a 960 around Id reather Reverb One, Realverb, even lexiverb than any other hardware verb around. I only use Analog compressors while tracking. In the mix, Mcdsp and Bomb factory compressors takes the place. Plus its silent.

better than anything we say here, go to a Digi delear and do a test drive yourself. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2002, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gus77:
Just to make myself clear .

I'm using nuendo and 2408 . Yes , i think it's a pretty daw amazing DAW .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you're very happy with the DAW you've got, why change. If you need a mixer, get a mixer.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:43 PM

[/qb][/QUOTE]If you're very happy with the DAW you've got, why change. If you need a mixer, get a mixer.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well . This is a good point to think about it .

I've told it before .. the demand , customers , bills to pay , and bla bla bla.

It's a jungle out there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Again ,
Thanks all