Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Lifetime PC guy considering Mac (keep breathing)

My first post to the Mac forum. And I don't even know the secret handshake yet

In my work life, I'm primarily a .NET software developer so I've always had a PC. I had the Digi 001 years ago on a PC I built myself (though it was loud and I didn't enjoy the process).

I just bought the Digi 002 with plans to install it on my laptop, a top-of-the-line ThinkPad Z60m that I also use for work... my thought being that all things on one box makes sense, especially financially.

But know its ideal to have a Mac (or PC) dedicated to the studio, disconnected from the Internet, nothing on it but Pro Tools. So it's making me re-think. My wife pushing the idea of the dedicated Mac is enticing me even more (i.e. a green light from the Mrs.).

What do you think, a waste of money and I should stick to my laptop plan? Any compelling reason to push me over the top on making the Mac purchase?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron Cook
Boulder, CO
Boulder, CO 80306
http://www.westinis.com
Old 04-14-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Lifetime PC guy considering Mac (keep breathin

Probably the most compelling reason these days is you can run Windows on your Mac now if you want.

I think once you get the feel of Mac OS you probably won't want to do that much though. It really is a nice OS. The hardware is pretty nice too.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:48 AM

The MacBook Pro is the best thing going right now with dual boot XP and OSX capabilities. I like the feel of OSX better than XP, but PTLE does run faster and more stable on XP than OSX at this time. I'd use XP for PTLE and OSX for email and surfing the internet on the same computer.

Allen
Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 AM

think about the time you win when you boot and shut down a mac instead of a pc.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:14 AM

rcook, I'm thinking of doing the same thing... I don't want the new Intel Mac yet....not until it's proven to work with Pro Tools and Reason A-OK. Apple has an online refurbished store with killer prices. I dream everyday, that little Macs, can play with little PC's in harmony.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Lifetime PC guy considering Mac (keep breathing)

Listen to your wife! Sounds like you can have your cake and eat it too.

A dedicated system for PT = less headaches.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'd use XP for PTLE and OSX for email and surfing the internet on the same computer.
Umm, I think you meant it the other way around, didn't you? Windows is good enough for these tasks, as well as word processing, spreadsheets, etc., but it's a joke when it comes to anything complex like recording and editing audio.

It's occurred to me after all this time that you probably have a vested interest in convincing people of Windows'/PC "superiority" over Macintosh; you've been very active to that end on these boards for years, directly contradicting long-time Mac uses' experiences with both platforms - in other words: BSing big time. How do you answer to that?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:41 PM

Hello. Well here you go again with a very negative vibe on this specific subject. I don't know why you see it fit to post on subjects that obviously make you angry for some reason. For the record, I am a long time Mac user. I am also a long time PC user. I have used both platforms for decades in professional situations. I don't know how you can claim to speak for me or my experiences or views on the subject, or other people like me.

Very specifically, Windows XP since it has been about has been stellar. So I don't know how you can make a statement that 'Windows is good enough for these tasks, as well as word processing, spreadsheets, etc., but it's a joke when it comes to anything complex like recording and editing audio.' I have used Windows for very complex recording and audio aplications for years without a hitch for a long time. There are thousdands and thousands and people all over the world using Windows that way. Rail for example has used PC's and Mac's for years. I don't know how you can make that claim.

Also, I don't know how you can make a claim that long time Mac users who have experience on both platforms claim a Mac superiority. Most of the people I know who have used both platforms for any length of time may have a preference for one or the other, but ultimately realize they are both good and both bad, just different. The only people I know who claim one having a superiority over the other are users who are religious about their side, either PC or Mac. Some even dip their feet on the other side for a while, have problems, get frustrated and give up. I know plenty of long time PC users who have tried Mac's, had problems and gave up and went back to their supposed 'superior' platform.

As I have said, anyone I know who has given both platforms their fair chance, while they ultimately may prefer one, do realize the equal value of both.

It seems to me the one with an agenda here is you, mainly to assert unequivocally that you believe Mac is a superior platform and if anyone remotely presents any thoughts on the contrary you see it fit to attack them. You seem to be personally offended by any statement that may paint Mac's in anything other than a supreme light or anything that doesn't paint Windows as a piece of dirt. As if someone was attacking you personally or some member of your family.

As I mentioned before in another thread, if you think these discussions are dumb or a waste of time, why do you bother to read them or post in them?

I have seen this silly Mac vs PC religious crusade for years, decades, and if I live a thousand years I will never understand why things become so emotional, religious and personal.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Lifetime PC guy considering Mac (keep breathing)

Quote:

But know its ideal to have a Mac (or PC) dedicated to the studio, disconnected from the Internet, nothing on it but Pro Tools. So it's making me re-think. My wife pushing the idea of the dedicated Mac is enticing me even more (i.e. a green light from the Mrs.).

this is what I did many years ago.
I was only using windows and had never touched a mac.
then i bought a mac just for protools and everything went great and according to plan.
Then I started to play around with some other things on the mac. If your anything like me you will end up using mac for everything possible.
I can't even imagine going back to windows now. What an incredible waste of time xp is compared to OSX.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I have seen this silly Mac vs PC religious crusade for years, decades, and if I live a thousand years I will never understand why things become so emotional, religious and personal.
Because we are human ?

Anyways. I've been on the windows platform for years now (started when dos had a limit of 32mb hardisk partion ).
Going 37 now and have been involved with computer since i was 9.
All day long i work with windows and my trusty old dell laptop never fails me, in what i do.

But when it comes to music, protools and windows - i have had nothing but bad experiences on the pc platform.
So i bought a dual g5 (9 months ago) and have had only one small problem ever since. So my vote is
for the mac platform and i will never run windows on my mac. never!

Im not religious - only practical