Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM

Default Finding Missing Files..please assist.

Running Protools 8.

My friend of mine and myself are mixing the exact same session at different studios.

My friend emailed me the .PTF session file so I could recall his session to compare his mix to mine.

I downloaded the .ptf session file and dragged that file in the same Session Folder that my .pft session file resides.

But, when I launch his mix version, I get the "Missing FILES" popup box.

I've tried both Automatically Relinking and Manually Relinking with little success. I've have read and re-read the section in the manual but I'm still confused. Assistant Please. Could someone please clarify the correct steps for me.

thanks,
Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Finding Missing Files..please assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
Running Protools 8.

My friend of mine and myself are mixing the exact same session at different studios.

My friend emailed me the .PTF session file so I could recall his session to compare his mix to mine.

I downloaded the .ptf session file and dragged that file in the same Session Folder that my .pft session file resides.

But, when I launch his mix version, I get the "Missing FILES" popup box.

I've tried both Automatically Relinking and Manually Relinking with little success. I've have read and re-read the section in the manual but I'm still confused. Assistant Please. Could someone please clarify the correct steps for me.

thanks,
Have you tried searching manually with setting "just names" , hence "no ID"?
Are all files missing or just some? If just some, could it be your friend has rendered stuff?
Does it work when you manually pull the files onto the missing files, when searching manually for the files?

Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Did you get just the .ptf file, or did you get a folder with the ptf file, and a folder named Audio Files? The ptf file(that appears like a tiny icon) is only the session "layout" and doesn't actually hold the audio. Also, sometimes people make the mistake of using audio from several locations(I learned the hard way) and when they send what they think is the entire session folder, they are actually missing any audio that was imported from other sessions or locations, but were not copied into that session's audio files folder. A typical session would be too large for email(you would need to zip it and use Dropbox, yousendit or similar).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM

Both sessions are Identical..meaning, we both have the exact same audio files and fade files. No files have been renamed. No new audio has been added during the mixing; no old audio has been deleted. The only thing "different" between our two session-mixes are the subject EQ/Compression levels and of course fader-mix differences. The only remaining difference between the two sessions is that I named my session "Song MIX" and he renamed his session "My Song Mix".

So, since we both have the exact same audio files, I just told him that there was no need to send me all those audio files; but instead, he just needed to email me was just the .ptf session file.

Now, when opening his session, I trying to get his session to "see" or "Point-to" the Audio file folder that my session is accessing.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
Both sessions are Identical..meaning, we both have the exact same audio files and fade files. No files have been renamed. No new audio has been added during the mixing; no old audio has been deleted. The only thing "different" between our two session-mixes are the subject EQ/Compression levels and of course fader-mix differences. The only remaining difference between the two sessions is that I named my session "Song MIX" and the renamed his session "My Song Mix".

So, since we both have the exact same audio files, I just told him that there was no need to send me all those audio files; but instead, he just needed to email me was just the .ptf session file.

Now, when opening his session, I trying to get his session to "see" or "Point-to" the Audio file folder that my session is accessing.
If you find manually, are you ticking "Find By Name" instead of "Find By Name And File ID"? If not, give it a try, maybe your two Pro Tools Systems have given different IDs for the audio files. And while you try that, it might be wise to untick the "Match Format", "Match Duration" and "Match Modification Date". Obviously I expect you have the correct hard drive ticked and have checked that the files are parent where you are searching.

If that doesn't work try the following:
- select "Find manually"
- in the "Select Files to Relink"-window select one audio file
- in the "Select Areas to Search"-window go to the folder where the file is
- now pull the file from the "Select Areas to Search"-window to the "Candidates"-window
- tick the box next to the linked file in the "Candidates"-window
- now "Commit Links"

Does this work?

Hope this helps,

Timothy
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 PM

Try loading the session, then in the region bin choose "show full path".
Look for the missing files, in italics, and that should show you where they were when the .PTF file/ session in question was created.

best of luck,
Sean

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM

What audio file format are you using?

Are you sure that you both have the session for the same song?