Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2001, 07:44 PM

Default It can be done with Digirack

A friend of mine was looking to do a low-budget recording, wanting to get a clean but raw recording of his folk/jazz/blues material. I was originally asked just to play bass on the recording, since I typically work on recordings more elaborate (and expensive) than what he was looking to do, but I thought it would be a challenge to see what a 001 could do with only Digirack plugs with "realistic underproduction" in mind. So I convinced him to let me produce the recording according to his ideals and budget.

Using only borrowed mics (mostly pretty good), the 001, a Mackie 1402VLZ (for drum mic pre's), Digirack + D-Verb, first takes, and a $1k budget, here's what we came up with (1 of 13 tracks):

Barstool Conversations

Kinda cool what you come up with when you rely heavily on musical talent [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2001, 08:09 PM

Default Re: It can be done with Digirack

Well done!

I'm diggin' the groovy flute vibe and loving where the guitar sits. Mark my words, low budget is where the growth is.

Harbour Sounds
Old 08-22-2001, 08:18 PM

nice job!
I dig the floutist as well.

Here comes some un-invited advice

Try panning the guitar a little left and the bass a little right. Put the flute center, and limit the drums a bit more. ( if you still have the kik own its own track, pump it up a touch)
Now the vox wont be covered up as much.

I cant resist making mix comments. I know it is an annoying habbit. But when you sit in studio fro 15 hours a day mixing, its all I can think of.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:49 AM

NICE TRACK...i also agree that the kik could use some more punch to it. and the vocals are alil thin.. but overall its a very clean recording. remix it and it can end up on the master. who says you need a huge budget to get great music!!digi001 sessions
Old 08-23-2001, 07:58 AM

I like it.
I like the vocal sound.
maybe a little subtle panning would help.
I little more kick, yup.

what about a little ambience on the kit?
keep it subtle.

but, really, It's great. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2001, 02:39 PM

I eased off the kick at my friend's request, he thought it made it sound too 'poppy', and of course no MaxxBass. The vocals have a hint of filth thanks to an AKG 414II, which my friend really likes, even passed on a Neuman TLM 103.

The project is already done, got the final packages back from Cinram already, but I appreciate the mix criticism. While the tracking of all instruments was very quick (2 weeks for 13 tunes, drums for 10 tunes done in 4 hours!), the mixing was pretty lengthy, trying to satisfy my friend's particular preferences. It's relatively 'mono' to ressemble a live board mix. If you ask me he listens to a little too much John Prine heh