Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2023, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Mbox studio latency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Changing the number of inputs actually being changes nothing to do with latency in the interface or driver.

But here you have to use ADAT to get that many inputs, and the exact latencies for those ADAT inputs are going to be different than that of an analog input. And that difference is not reported by the driver as I've explained many times before on DUC.

But again the high-level question is what can your system achieve, how small a H/W buffer can your setup run at with the sessions you want to track into.
Thanks for the explanation Darryl. I remember a while back you stating as such when I inquired about why my PCM90 SPDIF input was arriving sooner that the ADAT or analog inputs.

I'm really interested in upgrading my Digi003 BLA Mod for the better convertors, but I really want to maintain that 32buffer setting.

Thank you as always.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
I'm really interested in upgrading my Digi003 BLA Mod for the better convertors, but I really want to maintain that 32buffer setting.
FWIW RME UFX II or UFX III (since I use MADI) would be my first choices.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Here is another run, only this time I disabled the Safe Mode option in the MBox Control settings. Not sure what else can be disabled, but the numbers are slightly better.

Will

If you have more time and can create a test session with just a mono audio track and add a hardware insert on that track (between matching I/O on the Mbox). Then enable ADC and look at what latency is being shown in the ADC panel for that track. That should be identical to the reported RTL (but not actual measured RTL) you posted earlier... unless Pro Tools is doing something funky here. I'm surprised by the difference in reported and actual RTL.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Will

If you have more time and can create a test session with just a mono audio track and add a hardware insert on that track (between matching I/O on the Mbox). Then enable ADC and look at what latency is being shown in the ADC panel for that track. That should be identical to the reported RTL (but not actual measured RTL) you posted earlier... unless Pro Tools is doing something funky here. I'm surprised by the difference in reported and actual RTL.
Oddly a session at 48K / 128 shows a reported RTL of 320, yet ADC shows 448.

System Details
Old 12-27-2023, 10:36 AM

And 448 is not one of any of the reported or actual measurements... OK so then next question is does that ADC value actually correctly time align the hardware insert? If I can indulge you further... use a straight through cable (on analog IO not on ADAT or S/PDIF IO). Record a click to an audio track, place an insert on it and then record that track output to another audio track... with ADC enabled both tracks should perfectly align, but I am suspecting here they might not. If not what is the offset in #samples measured between waveforms?
Old 12-28-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
And 448 is not one of any of the reported or actual measurements... OK so then next question is does that ADC value actually correctly time align the hardware insert? If I can indulge you further... use a straight through cable (on analog IO not on ADAT or S/PDIF IO). Record a click to an audio track, place an insert on it and then record that track output to another audio track... with ADC enabled both tracks should perfectly align, but I am suspecting here they might not. If not what is the offset in #samples measured between waveforms?
They do not line up and have about 425 samples between them.

System Details
Old 12-28-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
They do not line up and have about 425 samples between them.
Oh Avid, what have you done? How do you screw up basic latency stuff so badly?

Now I have to wonder if this box even gets basic input timing correct.

This is all pretty disappointing and already enough reason I would avoid the Mbox Studio, and then there is the eight output limit.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:22 AM

Using Core Audio

Mix Stage 2 PT HDX2 Ultimate 2023.6 S6 MTRX I/O Hackintosh i7 8700K 32 Gb RAM OSX 12.6.7

Mix Stage 3 PT HDX Ultimate 2023.6 D-Command HD I/O Hackintosh i7 8700K 32 Gb RAM OSX 12.6.7

ADR PT MBox Studio Ultimate 2023 Mac Mini M1 8 Gb RAM OSX 13.4.1

Edit 1 PT HDN PCIe 2023.6 96 I/O Intel i7 6700K 32 Gb RAM.OS Windows 10

Estúdio JLS Facilidades Sonoras
São Paulo - Brazil

Old 01-02-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sasso View Post
Using Core Audio

Interesting, thanks for posting Core Audio.

System Details
Old 01-02-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Oh Avid, what have you done? How do you screw up basic latency stuff so badly?

Now I have to wonder if this box even gets basic input timing correct.

This is all pretty disappointing and already enough reason I would avoid the Mbox Studio, and then there is the eight output limit.

Yeah that's why I'm parked on the Digi 003.

It's crucial to have the 32buffer for tracking bands live, since that's my FORTE.