Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 PM

Default MIDI Virtual Instruments: Pro Tools LE 8

Hi,

When I set up a new project on Pro Tools LE, I can only get the preset instruments to work: Piano and organ. When I set up a new MIDI track, I can't even get that to work.

My MIDI keyboard is working and is recognized by Pro Tools, but I dunno how to set up a new track and pick an instrument and just play and record.

I haven't used recording software like this before, but I do know my way around a computer. I'm wondering how to access the virtual instruments that come with the software.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Re: MIDI Virtual Instruments: Pro Tools LE 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamblerd View Post
Hi,

When I set up a new project on Pro Tools LE, I can only get the preset instruments to work: Piano and organ. When I set up a new MIDI track, I can't even get that to work.

My MIDI keyboard is working and is recognized by Pro Tools, but I dunno how to set up a new track and pick an instrument and just play and record.

I haven't used recording software like this before, but I do know my way around a computer. I'm wondering how to access the virtual instruments that come with the software.

Thank you.
Not sure exactly what you mean by preset instruments??

Anyway, you can use a MIDI track to record and route midi and a separate Aux Input track to insert the plugin:

Make a stereo Aux track. Insert Xpand
Make a MIDI track. Leave it's input set to "all" and set it's output to "Xpand2 > CH 1". Make sure MIDI Thru is checked in the options menu...

OR

You can use an instrument track:

Under View>Mix Window Views... Make sure "Instruments" is checked
Make a new Inst track. Insert Xpand. Make sure MIDI Thru is checked in the options menu...

The Inst track simply combines the features of the MIDI track With the features of the Aux input track...
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Hi,

Yes, I figured that out, thank you.

I have two more issues:

1) I cannot get my USB keyboard to consistently record through an instrument track. I have set up the track with a plug-in sound, it worked a couple of times, but I cannot get it to work all the time. Your thoughts?

2) I am working with a publishing company that uses Sibelius software. My Pro Tools 8 is unable to export to Sibelius, because I don't have Sibelius on my computer. But I was able to save something from Score Editor to a .SIB file name once. How do I do that consistently?

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:53 PM

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)