Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2023, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Always having to force quit Pro Tools

For me, only Keysmith macro app. I don't even have Avid Link.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Although I haven't had this exact freeze-on-quit problem since PT10, I do have a sign of instability that only shows up after PT running a long time. Often days. And that is; I go to a session that's been open for a long time in the background, and on hitting playback I immediately get an error saying: "Memory is running low. Please increase AAE memory." I quit and relaunch, and all is well. Activity monitor not giving a sign of anything wrong with PT memory.

This is with PT2020.12. Thought it was worth mentioning.
I get this error if Pro Tools is open whilst making snapshots of APFS volumes. In ARQ Backup I turned it off (Use filesystem snapshots for APFS volumes) as it backs up every hour. So if it made a snapshot of my Current Files drive whilst Pro Tools was open, then after you get the Increase AAE memory" error. Same with CCC, and Time Machine. Anything that creates APFS snapshot. It took me a while to realise why it was happening because my current files drive was HFS+ for a long time, and Arq could happily back up files whilst Pro Tools was open and operating all day. Worth checking if you have any type of app doing that

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-21-2023, 11:36 AM

Yes, i too need to force quite more than usual. Maybe about 20% of the time. This all started recently. SO many changes with PT versions, plug ins, time machine set up, new MAC os..., i cant even remember them all, but is more than normal.

MAc studio max
Monterey 12.3.1
PT version 22.12.0.326
a million plug ins and VI's
Old 02-21-2023, 01:26 PM

Fwiw when this happens to me I see this window stuck on top of everything: "Closing session... Audio File Catalog"

A clue perhaps?
Old 02-22-2023, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
I get this error if Pro Tools is open whilst making snapshots of APFS volumes. In ARQ Backup I turned it off (Use filesystem snapshots for APFS volumes) as it backs up every hour. So if it made a snapshot of my Current Files drive whilst Pro Tools was open, then after you get the Increase AAE memory" error. Same with CCC, and Time Machine. Anything that creates APFS snapshot. It took me a while to realise why it was happening because my current files drive was HFS+ for a long time, and Arq could happily back up files whilst Pro Tools was open and operating all day. Worth checking if you have any type of app doing that
Thanks. Well, I do have CCC doing backups every night at 1AM, and snapshots. But I only get the error when I go to PT and press 'play'. I'll try a 'before and after'-test this evening.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshuajusic View Post
Fwiw when this happens to me I see this window stuck on top of everything: "Closing session... Audio File Catalog"

A clue perhaps?
Just had another right now... and same as you this time I can see "Closing Session.... Audio File Catalog"

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-23-2023, 08:46 AM

For me this has nothing to do with closing a session.

For example, I'll be done for the day and tell the Mac to Shut Down. As the Mac begins quitting all open apps, it may get hung up by Pro Tools, which is spinning beach ball while trying to quit (even though no sessions were open at the time). Then I get that Mac OS message that shut down was interrupted by Pro Tools being unresponsive, and so I need to force quit it for the shut down to complete.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Just had another right now... and same as you this time I can see "Closing Session.... Audio File Catalog"

I get that pretty frequently too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2023, 07:58 AM

Thank you all for your contributions regarding this issue. A case has been created and hopefully a fix will be provided soon.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I’ve been seeing this everyday closing sessions with 2022.12. Pretty stable otherwise.