Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 AM

Default SSL 4000 on sale, to buy or not to buy?

Hi,

I know, I know, this has been asked probably 1000 times
Do You think that today the Waves SSL is still the best SSL style channel strip? Duende and UAD are not an option for me because the first doesn't have AAX64 and the second needs a hardware card that I don't want to invest in.
I have the Solid Series from NI but have no comparison to the Waves SSL and I am having some issues with controlling them via Artist Mix.
I also have great hopes for the new Virtual Mix Rack plugin from Slate, but knowing how Slate is progressing with AAX that can take a while.
At the time Waves released the series there were not that many alternatives. As for the bus-comp I have the VBC and I am very happy with it. So as You can see I am torn between buying and not buying. Today's sale would probably be a good occasion to grab it since the SSL seems to be rarely on sale. I know that I need to make that decision for my own, but still...another point of view, sharing experience and thoughts will help a lot!
Thank You!

Piotr
Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Default Re: SSL 4000 on sale, to buy or not to buy?

If you look on eBay, there's always a great deal going anyway, so this sale is probably the price it should be. I see SSL don't intend on developing AAX Duende plugs any time soon :/ so this could be the way to go, though I have my money on Slate digital...

I miss my focusrite liquid mix, it sounded soooo good!

Focusrite if you're reading this, please can you develop Liquid Mix as an aax native & possibly dsp plugin?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 AM

Waves SSL are actually one of their best plugins, so for such a low price it should be a no-brainer.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 AM

Sounds good to me!
Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Waves SSL are actually one of their best plugins,
Wow, the bar's pretty low huh?

To me, these are basic sounding tools that everyone used to rely on as a part of the console. To make them out to be something "special" is a sign that "in the box" production has lost a little touch with the importance of the hardware we used to use.

I've owned these plugs for years. Paid WAY too much for them in fact. They're fine basic tools and should help you make better mixes, faster.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post

To me, these are basic sounding tools that everyone used to rely on as a part of the console. To make them out to be something "special" is a sign that "in the box" production has lost a little touch with the importance of the hardware we used to use.
Great comment! I only know ITB mixing, have never even touched a harware fader, so I have no point of reference but I have never excpected for plugins to do magic tricks. " basic tools" is exactly what I am looking for. I try to stay away from relying on stock plugins for one simple reason: I constantly move between PT and Cubase and therefore I rather use the same plugins, independent from the platform. One of the things I try to remember myself is to limit my choices. Any software these days, be it video, audio or 3d gives us almost limitless choices on tools. That can be great but mostly cmplicates stuff that should be easy. That is why I consider buying a "basic tool" like the Waves Ssl bundle.

Piotr
Old 12-11-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjano View Post
Great comment! I only know ITB mixing, have never even touched a harware fader, so I have no point of reference but I have never excpected for plugins to do magic tricks. " basic tools" is exactly what I am looking for. I try to stay away from relying on stock plugins for one simple reason: I constantly move between PT and Cubase and therefore I rather use the same plugins, independent from the platform. One of the things I try to remember myself is to limit my choices. Any software these days, be it video, audio or 3d gives us almost limitless choices on tools. That can be great but mostly cmplicates stuff that should be easy. That is why I consider buying a "basic tool" like the Waves Ssl bundle.

Piotr
Having said what you said, it sounds like you're making a well thought out decision. These tools should serve you well.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Waves SSL are actually one of their best plugins, so for such a low price it should be a no-brainer.
uhhhh when I think of price I paid for SSL 4000 bundle back in 2007... $700
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denka View Post
uhhhh when I think of price I paid for SSL 4000 bundle back in 2007... $700
Great bundle for the bread'n butter stuff and at 319 USD at AudioDeluxe (login) it's a steal Very low and never seen them under 400 Usd so go grab them before they are back at MSRP. We missed alot of deals thinking too much

www.audiodeluxe.com

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Anyone compare this to the UAD version? I wasn't overly impressed with the Waves and while i wanted to like it I found it just another basic EQ.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12