Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2015, 06:02 PM

Default conforming software recommendation

I just finished a couple of film project that got pick up by our local CBC network. I did the mix and the on line editing. We will be re cutting a 52 min version in premiere and re conform my PT mix session to match the new pic cut. I usually do all this by hand but i guess it's time to invest in a conforming software, any suggestions ? thx
Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 PM

Default Re: conforming software recommendation

Conformalizer here, does exactly what you want. You can give it EDL's to compare or it works with a change list. You can edit and make manual entries as you wish. There will be a lot cleanup at the edit points, of course, which is why I still like to conform by hand when possible.

You might want to consider using your mixed stems as the source audio for the original film while re-editing. Easy to see what is new audio to be mixed and what can be conformed. This workflow was a tremendous benefit for a recent film that was fully mixed then re-edited a couple of months later. The editor used a QuickTime movie of the original color corrected film with my stems, then added and changed as needed. Conform was very simple, I did a separate conform for dialog, sfx, ambience, music, isolating each stem from the EDLs for each conform. Then a remix to add in new material.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Is this simple workflow possible with Conformalizer…

1- I export the original 60 min version's EDL from premiere
2- Edit a new 52 min version and export its EDL
3- Conformalizer compare the two EDL and create a change list

now this is where i'm unsure…do i need to manually re edit my PT mix session using the newly created change list ? Can Conformalizer create a new PT session automatically that reflects all those changes ? thx
Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I usually do all this by hand but i guess it's time to invest in a conforming software, any suggestions ? thx
EdiLoad will do this for you. It can compare the 52 min EDL against the 60 min EDL and create a list of just the changes. You then get EdiLoad to re-cut your PT session by moving your clips and automation down the timeline say 60 min and it will then compile (copy) all the sections that are in the new version at the correct location. This is also how Conformalizer works in terms of updating your PT session - they don't actually generate a new .ptx file.

As postman suggests you may wish to re-conform the old version stems instead of a edit/mix session as it's a lot simpler to fix the edits/holes that the re-conform makes.

There's also whole bunch of other EdiLoad features that you might find helpful for your next film - see the EdiLoad Feature Highlights video on the page linked above.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 PM

The normal way is to move the original session up the timeline a safe amount - say 2 hours, so there can be no possibility of overlap. Conformalizer then cuts and pastes it back to the correct position using the changes EDL.. You just have to tell conformalizer to add +2 hours to the source time codes.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:04 PM
The Cargo Cult

And there just so happens to be a teaser for the new version here: https://youtu.be/42JnNEX6sS8
Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 AM

Conformalizer here
It does what you want to do VERY WELL :)
Stef
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 06-16-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:

now this is where i'm unsure…do i need to manually re edit my PT mix session using the newly created change list ?
I believe you've gotten your answers already but in case you're not certain, the answer is YES.
Quote:
Can Conformalizer create a new PT session automatically that reflects all those changes ? thx
YES. Mark Franken's EdiLoad and Conformalizer both use the same workflow. When the conform is done, you'll have a Pro Tools timeline that has your new version in one location and your original version in another location (usually a couple of hours later than the newly conformed version). Because the original version is not damaged during conform it is always available to pull additional audio from.

Autoconform is entirely dependent on the lists. You'll have lots of fixes to make. In my opinion it rarely saves time over manual conform unless there are hundred of trims or many sections that have swapped story order.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:

now this is where i'm unsure…do i need to manually re edit my PT mix session using the newly created change list ? Can Conformalizer create a new PT session automatically that reflects all those changes ? thx
There's a detailed workflow description for Premiere on the website:

http://www.thecargocult.nz/manuals/l...d_premiere.pdf

Frank.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
You might want to consider using your mixed stems as the source audio for the original film while re-editing. Easy to see what is new audio to be mixed and what can be conformed. This workflow was a tremendous benefit for a recent film that was fully mixed then re-edited a couple of months later. The editor used a QuickTime movie of the original color corrected film with my stems, then added and changed as needed. Conform was very simple, I did a separate conform for dialog, sfx, ambience, music, isolating each stem from the EDLs for each conform. Then a remix to add in new material.
This is the way to go for cutdowns.