Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 09:31 AM

Default Hey wat plugin will get the wah wah effect

on a guitar note? Also how do u get that chop up sound like in old italian music. Do you jus chop up the note and add reverb?
Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Hey wat plugin will get the wah wah effect

if you want the wah sound you need to use a pluyging that has a lowpass filter and an lfo that controls the frequency. for example if you have bomb factory low pass filter you could use that. set the resonance fairly high and use the lfo to modulate the frequency. then you will get the filter sweeping thourhg the frequcnies. this will give something similar to a wah effect but not exactly.

you could also try using just a simple one band eq built into pro tools select a parametric setting and set the q fairly haig. then you can sweep the frequencies manually and record the automation. bobs your granny wah wah!

if you really want it though buy a jim dunlop cry baby....much more authentic.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:57 AM

Yeah, a wah is one of those FX you really can't fake. Or at least not well. Get a pedal. If you only need it for one track and don't want to buy a whole pedal for it, get a multi-fx pedal with a wah function.

And what do you mean chop? I don't listen to a lot of old italian music, but if it's old, you can be sure they weren't using plug-ins! It's probably a stacatto or stagger rythm in the strum. Try playing a raggae ryhthm, but on the 1's and 3's, not the 2's and 4's. That may be the sound you're looking for. If not, you'll have to be more specific.
-Olaf
Old 06-09-2003, 11:45 AM

the way i tried to do it was this (in a tracker)

HHHHHHHHHH thats the note then its chopped like this ||||||||||| so its not a full note its the note chopped to little sections. I can't think of a song that does this but alot of rap beats use it now.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:08 PM

Yeah, but doesn't amplitube's wah just go up and down? (I don't have it and that hiss on the demo made me think I was hearing voices...) Maybe I'm getting my terms mixed up, but isn't a wah like a jimmy hendrix - footpedal kinda thing?

If you're just looking for an up and down sweep you could make that with any of the million flangers. Ooh, I just thought of how you could make it seem like a wah with a little work:

Record the guitar, then make a few duplicates of it, and do flanges of varying sweep speed on each one, and then splice them all together with crossfades, that may do it. I'm going to try it myself. Might be a cool effect, even if that's not what you're going for.
-Olaf
I'm Playing King Tut today.
(I'm talking out of my asp!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 04:16 PM

yeh i gotta try that to. thx for the idea brother.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:22 AM

amplitude baby!