Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2022, 02:18 PM

Default Major iLok Cloud outage in Europe

I just went out, came back, & Pro Tools Ultimate said I 'wasn't authorised', despite the session being already having open for a few hours.

Now PT won't even boot, being stuck on some iLok nonsense .

Looking at the iLok website at 21.17 UK time it says 'Major iLok Cloud outage in Europe' (see screen grab)

So that's thats then! I'll just send everyone home, offer grovelling apologies & refunds.

Surely there has to be a better way, than to have a facility at the mercy of a ropey server somewhere ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 21.13.19.jpg (27.9 KB, 0 views)

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 03-16-2022, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Major iLok Cloud outage in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Surely there has to be a better way?
There is. A physical iLok.

Should the iLok Cloud licensing system work 100% of the time? Yes. Will it? Being served based… probably not.

Personally, I wouldn’t rely on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
There is. A physical iLok.
Should the iLok Cloud licensing system work 100% of the time? Yes. Will it? Being served based… probably not.
Personally, I wouldn’t rely on it.
I'm really fed up with this type of unhelpful response, Sardi, whenever someone mentions iLok Cloud; "only yourself to blame" type of thing.

I have had mainly a good experience with iLok cloud for a couple of years.

It stopped with my upgrading to ILM 5.5 a couple of days ago. Since then I've had the so-called ilok cloud session close down on me every two-to-four hours or so. I uninstalled it, and installed the previous version, and the problem persists.

I wonder where you found this error info on ilok page, Ru-C? I'm pissed I can't even find a way to report this to Pace.

And Sardi, I've ordered a new iLok3usb.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm really fed up with this type of unhelpful response, Sardi, whenever someone mentions iLok Cloud; "only yourself to blame" type of thing.
Where did I say that? Where did I throw fuel on the fire?

My suggestion is that the physical iLok is not prone to these issues. It could physically break, but that’s another argument.

iLok servers shouldn’t go down, but my experience with cloud based systems is that at some point, you will have access issues. Experienced it enough times with companies MUCH bigger than Pace to know that it’s not something you can rely on 100% of the time. The OP said he is cancelling sessions now. Does this sound like a reliable solution for them? I don’t think so.

If you’re so enamoured with iLok cloud, why are you buying an iLok 3 then?

Old 03-16-2022, 04:48 PM

I'm not getting into a quarrel.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:35 PM

Default Major iLok Cloud outage in Europe

Good, because there’s nothing to quarrel about.

You jumped down my throat and accused me of making light of the OP’s situation. I did not. I offered my honest opinion on a better solution to his issue, one where he probably wouldn’t have to cancel sessions over and lose revenue in the process.

Unless the OP has a real need to be using iLok Cloud, it’s best to avoid it if you rely on your system working to generate an income.

BTW - there’s no need to report it to Pace. Save yourself the grief. They’re aware of the issue already and have sent out comms.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:39 PM

Sorry for the interruption today.

That screenshot is from status.ilok.com which is good site to bookmark and check if having licensing trouble. That shows there was a failure with iLok.com Services at 20:54 which was resolved at 20:58. During that time there was an error with iLok Cloud services in EU at 20:56 and US at 20:57 - both were resolved in less than 30 seconds. iLok Cloud Sessions having trouble beyond that would likely have been fixed by a reset (Close Your Cloud Session then Open Your Cloud Session in iLok License Manager).

Users can check the history on that status page and weigh the pros & cons of iLok Cloud vs iLok USB Key to decide which is more appropriate for their needs.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
... whenever someone mentions iLok Cloud; "only yourself to blame" type of thing ...
When Avid released Cloud, the ensuing uproar was mostly due to many users not enjoying consistent, fast, reliable Broadband – which is not only vital, but is also so ‘necessoire’/mandatory/’primo importanco’/etc.!

https://www.thelocal.no/20160930/nor...ternet-report/
Though “Singapore was the runaway winner for the highest peak speeds at 146.9 mbps”, “Norway has Europe’s fastest internet” – but for every Pro Tools user who sometimes must work when the Internet’s down – a physical iLok is a must.

Wrong!

2 physical iLoks are a must!
One with all your plug-ins, covered by iLok’s Zero Down Time (ZDT) for US $30 per year is a no brainer … try adding the value of heaps of plug-ins to your home or studio insurance to compare the cost!)

The 2nd iLok is for getting back to work as quickly as possible, if your main iLok is lost, stolen or broken (* may it never happen! … but if it does, good idea to immediately pay another $30 to cover your 2nd iLok with ZDT) ...
iLok with ZDT means your assets can be added to your 2nd iLok, which hopefully, you already bought.

As most Instrument and FX plug-ins have multiple authorizations – using another DAW simultaneously on a 2nd system is a convenient use for your 2nd iLok (with or without your 1st iLok)

https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage
https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-details
https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-terms
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!