Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2021, 10:26 AM

Default Re: HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebosphere View Post
Here is what Avid told me to do, and it worked:

1. Check if manually loading the driver is successful using the following Terminal command (the Terminal utility is found in Applications > Utilities):

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

(Note: you will be prompted to enter an Administrator password to validate this command)

After running the Terminal command you may see a system message regarding a security problem, which should then be fixed by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and pressing the "Allow" button (which you would normally be prompted to do immediately after installing the driver).

2. If this is not successful, try manually adding Avid drivers to the "allowed" list by doing the following:

i. Boot the Mac into Recovery mode by holding down CMD-R while starting the computer.

ii. In Recovery mode, open the Terminal utility, and enter the following command:

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 4UYUA773XD

Reboot the Mac into macOS whereupon the HD Driver should now be loaded.

3. If the kextload command initially successfully loaded the driver, but this needs to be repeated every time the computer starts up then the macOS prelinked kernel may need to be updated. The procedure is different depending on macOS version:

On macOS Big Sur:

i. Open Terminal from /Applications/Utilities and enter the following command (followed by the password):

sudo touch /Library/Extensions

ii. Restart the computer and boot into Recovery by holding down CMD-R.

iii. Once in recovery, open the Terminal utility and enter the following command (this assumes the name of the system volume is "Macintosh HD"; if not adjust accordingly):

kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root “/Volumes/Macintosh HD”

iv. Restart the computer back into macOS, open Terminal and enter the following command:

sudo kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

v. Go to System Preferences and see if it prompts to “Allow” the driver to load, then restart the computer once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was hopefull for this to work for me too... but unfortunally... it didn't.
Hope for a quick fix in 2021.11

MTRX v.2.4.2.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station

Last edited by Johnny Hulst; 11-17-2021 at 10:27 AM. Reason: bad english typing... engish is not my native language
Old 11-18-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebosphere View Post
Here is what Avid told me to do, and it worked:

<SNIP>
With all due respect, none of the above resolved the issue for me.

To be clear: when the HD hardware is first switched on after booting to Mac OS, it works great. Once the hardware is switched off, it will not work if switched on again. A restart is required for the driver to load again.
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur
Old 11-20-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Apologies for a quick digression here, to pose a question to folks on this thread - I'm a new HDX user as of last spring, currently running 2021.6 HDX on a 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1 on Mojave, on an internal PCIe SSD. Things have been quite stable so far, so I am content. But I just noticed that a couple of annoying issues I've encountered (Mp3s being truncated on Import, bad ADC when printing from Aux tracks to Audio tracks) have been fixed in 2021.10. But this thread makes me super hesitant to upgrade to 2021.10. Should I be? Also, for now I'm using a non Apple-flashed graphics card, so going into Recovery Mode to do HD driver tweaks is a non-starter for me. Should I just sit tight in 2021.6? Thanks! As you were...

Using Pro tools for more then 20 years. Don’t upgrade. I didn’t. Wait until they fix the stuff. It’s better to have mp3 import problems then the hole system not working and loosing studio time. I don’t know you but I just can’t have downtime here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0

Last edited by Fidelis; 11-28-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:35 AM

I'm unusually immune to these problems...but not this one. Didn't see this thread but found one from 2019 with this info...and it worked. Thanks to gearhead2010. Not sure if this is an Apple or Avid issue...but felt like I was using Windows again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead2010 View Post
I had this same problem, digitest did not see the HDX card which means it's a driver issue, or your card is bad. I knew my card was good so... here's what worked:

If for some reason the OS blocks proper installation of the HD Driver, you can manually force it to load with the following Terminal command:

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext

(note that you will need to enter an Administrator password to validate this command)

After running the Terminal command you may see a system message regarding a security problem, which will then be fixed by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and allowing the HD driver to load (which you would normally be prompted to do immediately after installing the driver).

After going to system preferences and checking the box to allow the driver to load, it worked!

Hope that helps.

gH
Old 11-20-2021, 09:00 AM

Yep, updating UAD to 9.15 has caused my HDX card to go offline as well. Previously it had been working perfectly under Big Sur 11.6 and PT Ultimate 2021.10.

The Terminal command line "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" brings it back, but only until I restart, and then it's gone again. Currently trying to get it to come back after restarts/shutdown without using the Terminal line, but no joy yet.

I have no idea what UAD 9.15 has done, but whatever firmware update it has done to the UAD card and satellite that was required as part of the 9.15 update has seriously affected the HDX card. Deeply unimpressed with UAD.
UAD Octo PCIe, UAD Octo Thunderbolt 3 Satellite

www.adrian-hall.com
Old 11-21-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidyhall View Post
Yep, updating UAD to 9.15 has caused my HDX card to go offline as well. Previously it had been working perfectly under Big Sur 11.6 and PT Ultimate 2021.10.

The Terminal command line "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext" brings it back, but only until I restart, and then it's gone again. Currently trying to get it to come back after restarts/shutdown without using the Terminal line, but no joy yet.

I have no idea what UAD 9.15 has done, but whatever firmware update it has done to the UAD card and satellite that was required as part of the 9.15 update has seriously affected the HDX card. Deeply unimpressed with UAD.
I contacted uad about this, but the reply stated, it was impossible for the uad update to damage the hdx card… well IT DID.
I tried everything I could find to get my hdx card alive after a restart, been about this for a whole week now. So disappointed in UAD… if anybody has a solution please let me / us know.
Will do total clean install if nothing will do… but thats my last option.

MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Live-rack:
Old 11-21-2021, 12:42 PM

I think that I may have fixed my system, by upgrading to the technically unsupported Big Sur 11.6.1. I read the Apple release notes, and a lot of them were to do with Security & Privacy issues, particularly with permissions for third-party apps.

I normally don't upgrade to non-approved OS, but I took a gamble. So I used the HD Driver Uninstaller, then after upgrading, I re-installed both ProTools 2021.10 and the HD Driver, from the main ProTools installer. I've restarted twice, and it seems to be loading the HD Driver correctly now. Sessions load correctly, and UAD is also working.
UAD Octo PCIe, UAD Octo Thunderbolt 3 Satellite

www.adrian-hall.com
Old 11-22-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hulst View Post
I contacted uad about this, but the reply stated, it was impossible for the uad update to damage the hdx card… well IT DID.
I tried everything I could find to get my hdx card alive after a restart, been about this for a whole week now. So disappointed in UAD… if anybody has a solution please let me / us know.
Will do total clean install if nothing will do… but thats my last option.
I don't think I'd throw UAD under the buss... the HD install also killed our Focusrite drivers! We could never get them to work together with this OS. Eventually one of the rooms decided to uninstall the HD driver and see what would happen... Focusrite came right up as it should. That room doesn't need the HD IO so he's just sticking to the Focusrite Red 4Pre as the interface and loving it.

Two of systems have never seen this problem... one HD Native and the other HDX-2. Very odd the way this is different everywhere.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:27 PM

I also ran into this issue today after installing the latest UAD version (9.15).
Just recently I updated to Big Sur...everything working fine and now this.

However, the list from nebosphere seems to work reliably for me - after rebooting into step "iv" I got prompted by the Security & Privacy to re-approve the AVID driver and the UAD driver. (I didn't have to run the terminal command at step iv).

After a reboot it now seems to work fine, even after "power off - wait a while - power back on" power cycle. I hope it stays this way...what a bummer!
Old 12-01-2021, 08:20 AM

Ok, I finally got it working for me, with PT2021.10.0 under OSX11.6.1

I took all the 2021 ProTools installers, and used the HD drivers which comes in the Protools installer pakkage (not the seperate one)
Copied all the seperate HD installers to my desktop, and started with uninstalling my 2021.10 HD driver and did a restart.
I made sure no other programs were running after each restart.
installed HD driver 2021.3.1 restarted (starting up worked)
installed HD driver 2021.6.0 restarted (starting up didn't work)
installed HD driver 2021.7.0 restarted (starting up worked)
installed HD driver 2021.10.0 restarted (starting up it worked)

in between the installers I never uninstalled the previous HD driver.

Very weird, but it got me happy for now, dont need to sudo touch extensions anymore every morning.
After the HD driver starting up properly, the RME drivers for the AES/EBU card also worked again.
So its like the drivers are starting up after each other, and if one doesn't start the one's who follows wont either.
But thats my theorie, and I'm not a programmer.

MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Live-rack:

Last edited by Johnny Hulst; 12-02-2021 at 12:12 AM. Reason: additional info