Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2002, 12:25 AM

Default I finally got the Z4 Sampler !!!

Yes... four months ago i said i was going to buy one, but until last week it was impossible, none available yet... well here it is.

What i have to say is : Forget the Software samplers for some time. If you need storage options Z4-Z8 can handle that with their internal HD, much more efficient than Halion on DP3, no CPU eating, and if you really hate to edit a sampler via its small screen, well then you have ak.sys which in my opinion is better than halion and all the other software sampler i've tried.

Give it a try if you can, i wasn't dissapointed. All my USB connected at the first try, and with 512 Mb of Ram i don't think i will be filling it up soon now.

Al.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:01 PM

Default Re: I finally got the Z4 Sampler !!!

Thanks for the Z4 info it's nice to know. BTW, what did you pay for it?

Chris
Old 04-22-2002, 11:23 PM

How are the filters and overall tweakability compared to the s6000, or emu ultra's?
I'm actually gonna grab an s6000, but these new ones look interesting as well.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:40 AM

I payed 1300 € (1166 $) for it. Take care that Z4 has none of the optional things that the Z8 carries like Digital I/O, Hard Disk... You have to add it later.

About what you say of the filters, i haven't had the time to try them but i still don't see why are you going to buy the S6000 (just my most humble opinion [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) because probably it will cost you close to the double all you'll have more or less the same features. The Windows (.wav) compatibility is perfect and the new CD's from AKAI can be read in a Windows/Mac enviroment.

Hope it helps.

I'd go for it with the eyes closed.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OgnKog:
About what you say of the filters, i haven't had the time to try them but i still don't see why are you going to buy the S6000 (just my most humble opinion [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) because probably it will cost you close to the double all you'll have more or less the same features. The Windows (.wav) compatibility is perfect and the new CD's from AKAI can be read in a Windows/Mac enviroment.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the S6000 and won't upgrade neither to Z4 nor Z8. I've had my S6000 for about 2 years now. I'd probably would be looking for one of the Z samplers today if I didn't have anyone.

Anyway, congrats OgnKog and may you have much enjoyment of your new toy....hrrm... mean sampler [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, are there any serious 24-bit sampling CD-roms out there yet?

-Robert
Old 04-23-2002, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert U:
I have the S6000 and won't upgrade neither to Z4 nor Z8. I've had my S6000 for about 2 years now. I'd probably would be looking for one of the Z samplers today if I didn't have anyone.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what i would probably had done too, but i had a S-3000 XL. This new one is far much better.

Quote:

BTW, are there any serious 24-bit sampling CD-roms out there yet?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, haven't heard of any yet. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Al.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:47 PM

The z series does look really hot. Decisions decisions...