Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2001, 01:45 PM

Default Can you insert a physical effect processor on Signal path

I tried but fail, but I want to be sure: Is it possible to use my external effect processor as insert or Aux/send with Digi001?
If Yes how is the connection set up?
Old 05-03-2001, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Can you insert a physical effect processor on Signal path

I have a similar problem maybe someone can help out with. We just built our studio. We like digi 001 for recording, but we have a Yamaha 01v digital mixing board that has onboard effects processors and EQ and other things that we like to use better than the digi 001.

My question is: how do I set up the 01v to work with the digi 001 so I can send the signals from protools to the 01v for processing, and then send the processed signal back to protools for final mixing?

Also, how is it possible to use the physical moterized faders in synch with protools so that everything works together? I've been wracking my brain and have not been able to figure it out. Please help! Surely someone here uses a setup like this...

------------------
Josh <><
Old 05-03-2001, 06:33 PM

Simply follow these steps

1. Connect the input to the effects unit from one of the outs of digi001.
2. Return the out(s) of effects to the input on the digi001. (Use TRS if available)
3. In your session create a aux channel (mono, or stereo). Assign the input to the same channel that you used in step 2.
4. On the channel you wish to effect assign a send to the output that you chose in step 1.

Make sure to turn the send fader up (the default is infinity)

Old 05-03-2001, 07:28 PM

Thanks, but what is TRS?

------------------
Josh <><
Old 05-03-2001, 09:04 PM

T=Tip
R=Ring
S=Sleve

Otherwise known as a balanced 1/4" phone plug/jack. Not to be confused with the stereo headphone plug/jack wich uses exactly the same connector (it looks, feels, smells and tastes like a headphone plug). It's used differently so it's named differently.

Basicly, it takes the three wires/conductors of a standard lo z (XLR) mic cable and uses the three conductor spaces available on a TRS/headphone plug/jack instead of an XLR connector. Sort of like the difference between a standard 1/4" connector and an 1/8" mini connector. Each performs EXACTLY the same function just in different format.

ALL OF THE 001 Input and Output connectors are "Balanced" TRS as apposed to cramming a bunch of XLR's on the front and back of the box. Only Inputs 1 and 2 will accept both an XLR OR a TRS plug. The rest are strictly TRS.

YOU CAN HOWEVER use ordinary MONO 1/4" Plugs too. The MONO 1/4" has 2 conductors tip and sleve (hot and nuetral). The TRS has Tip=Hot, Ring=Nuetral, Sleve=Ground or shielded Drain wire.

The advantage of using balanced lo z (low impedance/low resistance) is that you get a cleaner signal with less noise than a Hi z cable because the extra shield wire around the two main conductors "drains" away any stray electrical or radio radiation. Therefore the signal can travel farther and faster with less noise and less power to drive it.

There... everything you didn't want to know about TRS and balanced signals.

Eric Heil
The Loft Recording Studios
Lawrenceville, GA

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
More Pro Tools rigs than I can shake a stick at...
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!
Old 05-03-2001, 09:14 PM

There's one more thing you should know.

There are only 2 pre amps on the 001. These are the only two places that you SHOULD plug a mic directly to 001. The other inputs require some sort of external amplification in order to get a lo z signal loud enough to be useful for recording.

You can purchase mic cords that will adapt from XLR to 1/4" mono (Hi z) or 1/4" TRS (Lo z) but, unless they specifically say that they are "audio transformer" balanced, the signal will still be too weak to be useful. At that point you'll need some kind of mixer.

Eric

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!
Old 05-03-2001, 09:21 PM

OOPS I forgot that this thread was about your 01v mixer. Sorry if I over simplfied.

To get your 01v faders moving with PTLE you have to set up the 01v as a MIDI CONTROLER.

Try going to SETUPS>PERIFERALS>MIDI CONTROLERS and see if the 01v is listed there. I'm no expert on MIDI or NETWORKING but that may give some place to start.

Eric

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!
Old 05-04-2001, 11:06 AM

Thanks all for the help. I will try it tonight and sure let you know the results.

------------------
Rock Da Sound!
Old 05-06-2001, 11:37 PM

Mr Seven put it straight, I extensively use external gear with my 001. Just be sure not to route any of your processors through channels 1 & 2 unless you want your master fader to be sent and processed. This leaves you with the option of running 6 mono, 3 stereo processors simultaneously, not bad!! Also, you'll obviously have to be finished recording unless you only want to record to 1 or 2. The manual will tell you how to print these to disk if you so wish, so that you can switch effects and apply them to other tracks. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:35 AM

All good advice, above.

I believe there are a few details that are wrong, through:

> ALL OF THE 001 Input and Output connectors
> are "Balanced" TRS as apposed to cramming a
> bunch of XLR's on the front and back of the
> box. Only Inputs 1 and 2 will accept both
> an XLR OR a TRS plug. The rest are strictly
> TRS.

I don't think this is correct--if I remember correctly, the inputs are TRS, but the 001's outputs are unbalanced.

> YOU CAN HOWEVER use ordinary MONO 1/4"
> Plugs too. The MONO 1/4" has 2 conductors
> tip and sleve (hot and nuetral). The TRS
> has Tip=Hot, Ring=Nuetral, Sleve=Ground or
> shielded Drain wire.

It is true that mono and TRS 1/4" cables are completely interchangeable, but that's because the two conductors on a mono cable are hot (tip) and ground (sleeve). Audio lines are almost always shielded, meaning the cable's shield is tied to ground--with a mono cable, you still have a ground... what's missing is the reversed-phase hot. With a balanced cable, the extra conductor isn't neutral--it's negative--a balanced cable has two hots: positive and negative. When these two signals are later combined, any common noise is canceled out. If you use a two conductor cable with balanced equipment, you don't get the common noise rejection, which is the benefit of using a balanced signal, but you won't hurt anything, either.

James
[email protected]