Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Default F/U-11R as Primary PT Audio Interface

For simplicity's sake I'm trying to use the 11R as my main & only PT audio interface. I'm having some issues though - probably bugs.

About 3/4's of the time PT11 fails to mute the AMP L/R output when I launch the app. Sometimes just the L or R channel is muted. I've tried deleting audio-paths, prefs etc. No joy. Sometimes a reboot fixes it. It has gotten to the point where I'm using a different audio interface b/c using the 11R is unreliable.

I'm running 11.1.2 on Win8.1 on an unremarkable i7 haswell laptop.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Default Re: F/U-11R as Primary PT Audio Interface

Apparently no-one who reads this forum use the 11R as their primary audio interface.

I really tried to use the 11R as my only audio I/O for ProTools but the windows drivers must be very inefficient or something because I would get pops/crackles at low track counts and 'normal' buffer sizes (128,512). The crackles went away when using a different cheapo USB interface (Roland Quad Capture).

Too bad. I really wanted the simplicity of 1 device for guitar noises and general audio I/O.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 PM

So you are saying that when you launch Pro Tools, the Eleven Rack input does not get muted? And if you ARM a track, then you get a doubling effect?

If so, here is the solution that works for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRnyt6PVjc

As far as pops and clicks, that is common with USB interfaces when you are trying to run too low of a buffer or your session is too big for Pro Tools and your PC to keep up.

What optimizations have you done? Did you follow the Pro Tools optimization guide?

Did you disable sleep, and screen savers? What about USB selective suspend?

Is the Eleven Rack plugged into the computer or a USB hub? Are there several other USB devices connected?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM

If possible, try another USB cable or two.
and keeping its length only as long as necessary is probably a good idea.

I use a Mac so I can't speak to the Windows driver issues, but used my 11R as my only audio interface
(and as part of a Pro Tools Aggregate to add additional simultaneous inputs)
with great crystal-clear success...
I love its ease of use - especially when reamping!!

esh.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:47 AM

I'm saying that in the same session, if I use the 11R and I try to record it cracks and pops but if I use the quad capture it works just fine. This is the case with several projects.

Life is like an Analogy.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
I'm saying that in the same session, if I use the 11R and I try to record it cracks and pops but if I use the quad capture it works just fine. This is the case with several projects.
I run my 11R as my only interface on Win 8.1 using PT 11.1.3 and have no issues with crackling and popping even with fairly large sessions. So, it is possible.

I understand that you have no issues with the Roland, so yes, something is different in the way the drivers work, but I wouldn't call the 11R drivers inefficient. It might be that your system needs to be tweaked to get the best performance from your 11R.

Benoni is a master of the 11R, so follow his advice and please post answers to some of his questions. The more we know about your system and how you use it, the better we can help.

System Details
Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Interesting that the 11R is working great for you in Win8.1 - I ended up getting a Motu Track 16. I needed some simple monitor-control features anyway (2 sets of monitors). The MOTU is working great - so far.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM

My system is a clean build with only ProTools and the 11R drivers on it. A lot of the problems reported seem to be with systems that are used as a general work/play computer or have had the 11R drivers reinstalled, updated, unistalled..... which leads to multiple 11Rs being recognized by the driver system.

I would say give it a shot with a clean system, but I also know that is not always possible and things are working for you now.

System Details
Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 AM

After testing several other interfaces - I may end up just using the 11R (which was my preference all along).

After hooking it back up, the large(ish) projects that were crackling during recording are working fine. I have no explanation - same settings etc.

I got some new studio monitors in the meantime - that don't have easily accessible power switches. I thought I'd have to setup a remote power switch but I noticed for the first time that you can mute the main and headphone outputs independently via the 11R editor. Nice!