Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Default Pod 2.0 Hardware Insert

Hi All,

I'm trying to use my POD as a hardware insert to add effects to a direct, clean guitar recording. I've followed the Pro Tools instructions to a T (so I believe), but I still get a ton of feedback and very poor return quality. When I record normally from the POD it is great, but this hardware insert doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas? I'm more than willing to provide more information on the problem if necessary.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Pod 2.0 Hardware Insert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwogh View Post
I've followed the Pro Tools instructions to a T (so I believe)
Yeah, we're going to need to know which instructions those are, how you have it connected, and what exactly you are doing to be of any assistance.

Hard to tell you where you are going wrong when we don't know where you are going.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Tell us what interface you have and how its hooked up(to and from the POD). Maybe post a screen shot of your tracks in a session too.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM

I can't post a picture so I guess I'll just have to describe it. I have a mono Audio track with a clean recorded guitar. This track has a send to Analog 4. There is another mono Audio track who has its input set to Analog 4.

The physical connections are Analog 4 of the 003 Rack out to input of Pod and output of Pod to Analog 4 input on the 003 Rack.

As soon as I hit the record button (to put the track in standby), I get an incredible amount of noise and hiss. I can hear the track when recording, but it is faint compared to the amount of noise.

Maybe this is the wrong way to do this, but that's why I'm asking in the forum!

Thanks for the help.

-Ryan
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM

There may be a couple of issues here. I don't know for sure, but there may be a level mismatch because you're using a line out TRS going into a hi-z instrument input on the POD.

The other thing is that you're using a send. This is fine if you're using the POD for reverb or delay effects where you don't need to be 100% wet, but it's not ideal if you're trying to use the amp sounds of the POD, which need to be 100% wet. Aux sends, even up all the way, will not be 100% wet.

Regardless of these issues, I have a suggestion for not much money that will save you a lot of hassle. Buy one of the remaining Ilok Pod Farm Platinum Version 1 plugins. You will then get a free upgrade to Version 2. This will give you every single amp model Line 6 makes, with as many instances as you want. It's only $149. You can get it at musiciansfriend.com or audiomidi.com.

Musiciansfriend is having a sale where you call in and you might be able to get a little bit off. Not sure if that product is eligible, but here's a link to that page:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...gin?sku=720086

I encourage you to get this, then use your hardware POD for live use.