Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Digi CoreAudio and Leopard (10.5)...working!

I know that ProTools does not run on 10.5, but was asking myself if Digi CoreAudio drivers wouldn't either. I just installed Leopard on a MacBook Pro, on a separate partition and out of fun decided to test if I could run Digi CoreAudio. So I pulled and installed my CoreCard (from an HD, not accel) PCI card into my one slot Magma PCI (not PCIe) expansion chassis connected through the Express34 card.

First surprise was that Leopard recognized the Magma card and hardware, without a glitch. No drivers needed... Truly plug and play. I thought that was promising. Then, downloaded and installed Digi CoreAudio drivers (7.3 I believe), and although it installed it gave an error message. I needed to upgrade the Pace drivers, of which there is already a 10.5 compatible one. So I did, restarted... and voila! DigiCoreAudio appears in the Sound systems preference panel, and works just fine! hmmm... Next up will be installing Logic and see if it recognizes it and plays nice.

So far, iTunes plays just fine through my 192 I/O. I don't have any other chassis to test this with (I gave up trying with the MacBook Pro and ProTools, so I sold my 4 and 6 slot chassis, but kept the one slot... 'cause it works), but if someone has one it would be interesting to see if it works at all.

Best,

Mauro.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Digi CoreAudio and Leopard (10.5)...working!

Hi

I've installed Leopard on a spare external firewire drive that I Copy Cloner-ed from my main G5 drive running Protools HD and Logic Studio. Today and thought I'd see if Protools HD would work so I launched the demo song that came with HD and I was surprised to see Protools launch and the song play. Then I set about seeing what else might be working so I tried my external midi units and they all worked with the correct patches. Virus Indigo TDM worked, as did VI Atmosphere. However, I ended up crashing PT when I tried to instantiate VI Xpand.

Logic 8 is showing more instability than the PT HD, which is rather surprising as I would have thought Apple would have taken pains to ensure their pro audio app was ready for Leopard. Both PT HD and Logic Pro have problem with the Pace system, no doubt attributed to Pace not being updated yet for Leopard.

For now, like all the rest, I'm keeping my working drive on Tiger until everything gets stable on Leopard.

Cheers,
Craig
Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 PM

Per the company’s website, Waves plug-ins are currently NOT compatible with OSX 10.5 Leopard.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Both PT HD and Logic Pro have problem with the Pace system, no doubt attributed to Pace not being updated yet for Leopard.

Hi Craig,

Actually, Pace has released updated versions for Leopard. From their website:

"InterLok Mac OS X extensions installer v5.5.1
For Mac OS X 10.3.9 through 10.5
(Mac OS X disk image, 2.3mb)"

Those were the ones I installed, and seem to be working just fine so far. Cross my fingers... Of course, this is not my main production rig, at least not until it proves to be stable. I have not loaded Logic yet, but I too was hoping for some stability there... Per your comments, maybe it needs an update. Hopefully it will happen soon.

BTW, when you say that Logic is not very stable when running in Leopard, do you mean Logic with some other hardware/CoreAudio driver or did you mean Logic with Digi's CoreAudio and Digi's hardware?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 AM

I tried Leopard and Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3.1 on my Macbook Pro for kicks.

PT launched OK, but RTAS performance was very poor (constant 'running out of CPU' type errors), and the graphics for XPAND and HYBRID were messed up.

I didn't get much further than this...

You'd have to be nuts to attempt the upgrade with a TDM rig. Wait for compatibility.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:

You'd have to be nuts to attempt the upgrade with a TDM rig. Wait for compatibility.
Absolutely! I am not trying to run ProTools with Leopard. I am still waiting for compatibility... (I usually keep my stable ProTools systems running until there is an absolutely necessary reason why I have to upgrade). My rooms are safe... but my portable, is testing ground...

I am trying to run other software with Digi's hardware through CoreAudio. I would like to have a stable portable system (sorry Digi... the Micro just doesn't cut it...). Logic works very well with Apogee's Symphony... why can't Digi provide us with a full working and stable portable solution where we can use our TDM systems? I can use the Magma one slot, but that essentially gives me a maximum of 16 channels of input with a 192 I/O. I was trying Digi's CoreAudio out of curiosity to see if it works... and it did. Now the big question is will it work with multiple cards... I doubt it, looking at the history of portable TDM systems and Magma chassis... (the only ones that actually have an Express34 card we can use... Digi?) But I don't have the means to test this one. If someone is so adventurous as to try it, please do post your results... e.g. a Magma 4 or 6 slot PCI or PCIe with Digi's HW and running Logic, or some other software through Digi's CoreAudio on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks,

Mauro.