Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 10:45 PM

Default Overlapping Audio...

How do I paste a portion of audio onto an existing region, and have the overlapping parts of each play at the same time? The manual says that I must do this in slip mode, but when I do, the pasted audio does not merge or blend at the overlapping point, but it replaces the existing region.
Help anyone?
Old 10-16-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Overlapping Audio...

Either place it on 2 separate tracks.. or use a crossfade.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-16-2004, 11:08 PM

Thanks for your response. Well first of all, crossfades don't apply to overlapping regions, but to regions of audio that are following each other. You would use a crossfade to keep the volumes steady as it switches from one region to the next.
I am in fact already using your advice on utilizing another track as a work around. But I stack a lot of vocal parts to create full harmonies (up to about 6 or 8 on some songs). This is causing me to have to run up my track count.
I'm sure that there is a way to overlap on the same track. I've just gotta find it.
Anyone else?
Old 10-16-2004, 11:19 PM

A crossfade will play overlapping regions.. that's the very definition of a CROSS-fade. Place the regions so that the start and end of audio you want to share is butted up to each other.. select the area in the track.. and enter Control+F and change the Fade curve.

Say you have regions:

xxxxxxxxxxxx
yyyyyyyyyyyy

put them on the same track:

xxxxxxx|yyyyyyy

Crossfade:

xxx[zzz|zzz]yyy

The area Z above will play audio from both regions X and Y.

If you want more control than that - you'll have to use multiple tracks. Pro Tools is designed to emulate a tape system.. and no 2 pieces of audio can share the same time continuum on the same track (without a crossfade). If you need more tracks, then start sub-grouping or upgrade to a TDM system.

For doing stacked vocals.. create a "Work session" with a work mix broken up into 5 tracks.. this will give you 27 tracks for vocals.. after recording your vocals.. do a stereo background mix.. and import that into your original session.. or start using the disable track functionality in Pro Tools 6.x

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-16-2004, 11:24 PM

Morris: take note: Rail is rarely wrong about how to use ProTools.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:08 AM

Yes, I think I'd probably listen ti the guy with over 8000 posts, as opposed to the guy with 4. But hey...that's just me.

The solution you may be looking for Morris: use multiple tracks...then bounce the multiples down to a single. I often do this if I have 6-8 stacked choral voices.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think I'd probably listen ti the guy with over 8000 posts, as opposed to the guy with 4. But hey...that's just me.

8000+ posts can also mean, that he is just simply...old.. ,like me...but I only have 2500.. . And I don't know anything about Protools. I'm only here for the free drinks at the Bar !!

>>morris_the_cat
If I may...your best way to do a large number of vocal edits would be to create a stereo submix of the backing tracks, import them into a new "vox works" session and use all the available voices to chop/replace/process/premix the final vocal performance. Import that back into the original session.
Way more flexible than a bunch of xfades...

good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 10-17-2004, 10:42 PM

Yeah, that's another work around that I'm currently using as well. And I'd like to thank all of you for your input.
But, is there a way to do this on the same track without using all these work arounds? Does anyone know? Hit me back guys! Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:54 PM

Thanks Rail. Just viewed your reply. I think you might be the guy that can help me with this. By the way, ignore the post I just did (it was before i saw your reply). I guess I would need a step by step on hw to do that. because like I said, when I place one region overlapping the back end of another, it erases the preexisting region. So, are you saying that I could then do a crossfade and hear both pieces of audio within the overlapped portion? Let me know guy. Thanks again!

I know I can do the workarounds without a problem, but I'd like to save time if i can.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:57 PM

Oh, and one more thing...I love this forum! I can see myself on here a lot. Until tommorrow.