Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Surprise White Noise

Look at this screenshot. These are a bunch of regions of dialog, all imported just like I usually do. The one that's selected, however, is nothing but full scale white noise. Appears normal, sounds like deafening white noise.

Any ideas what the explanation is for this?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Surprise White Noise

I should add that it plays just fine from the workspace or finder, but importing it into Pro Tools turns it into white noise.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Crisis averted, I suppose. A restart of Pro Tools seems to have fixed it.

I'm still curious about what would make that happen. In nearly a decade of using Pro Tools I've never experienced anything like that.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Just gonna continue this conversation with myself as I get to the bottom of what's going on. Maybe someone else can be saved from this...

So there is something odd about the file. Izotope RX has a very hard time with it. Hangs when I try to preview, and then when the beach ball stopped spinning, the preview was of a snippet of an earlier region, not the selected one. Not the entire region, and not from the start either, it was a few seconds from within the region.

I "trained" Izotope using a snippet of dead air from the haunted region, so I don't know if that had any bearing on the odd behavior.

The noise it made before the restart sounded (as far as I can remember) just like the noise you get if you accidentally burn a CD with 24-bit wavs. Just full scale noise, both in the speakers and the meters, but not in the waveform.

Has anybody else experienced this type of behavior?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Has anybody else experienced this type of behavior?
Not exactly, but I see you recorded this in 8.x
Have you imported this track into a new session or transferred them to another drive and tried to play it?

I recently recorded 2 guitar tracks in 8.x on LE, and every time I open the session, the cursor plays over the beginning of these files but they're silent for maybe 5-8 seconds and then they play from the beginning, even though there are waveforms from the beginning of the track?

I close the session and re-open, and they play fine...every time. I made a new session on the same drive, imported the tracks via session data, and the same thing happens. I copied the session to a different drive and the same thing happens...every time!

I know it's not exactly the same thing but maybe there's something in v8 that makes the files bug out like this. I've never seen my problem happen, even going back to version 4.3!!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Well actually, I didn't record these. They are wavs sent to me by the client, and I'm actually not sure what DAW they use to record them, though I'm 99% sure it's not Pro Tools.

What's weird is that I've never had any issues in the past, with this client or with any other importing of wavs. And then like I said, a restart fixed it, but that particular region still behaved oddly.

I do recall some waveform issues with 8.0....I can't remember now, but something sort of like what you describe. I think maybe it had to do with calculating the waveforms?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Strange indeed. Even now that I've gone back to 7.4.2LE, these tracks still behave the same way! Maybe I need to consolidate them again and see if that makes any difference.
These were recorded as AIFF 24/48 on an Aux input with the Eleven Free plugin and then bussed to audio tracks. Almost like they're haunted, and they never drop out anywhere else in the file. The bass track was recorded straight to an audio track and is fine, as are the 10 drum tracks...