Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2003, 08:42 PM

Default freak restarts - ram going bad?

I am trying to figure out what is causing this problem.

I have an older allenstien cpu, a7v333, xp2100+, 512 ddr and i am getting crashes. When it happens the whole system restarts.

I am aware that the ram could possibly be the issue, and a potential reason is that each time it crashed, it had been a while since i saved.

(yeah I know the first was a vocal session that i had to piece back together, the second was a mixing session) I have since put it on auto save.

What ways can I troubleshoot this and find out if my ram is going bad? The machine has performed well through several albums and demos, and i am considering upgrading the cpu to a xp3000 (i think thats possible)

thanks
keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 04-26-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Re: freak restarts - ram going bad?

you're using windows xp?

could possibly be a driver conflict. have you installed any new hardware or changed your hardware configuration?

does it only happen when using pro tools?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:26 PM

If you really feel like checking your ram, just yank the chips and bring them to the nearest computer repair/recycle shop. Most have testers.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:21 AM

Minimoog,

yes im using xp, but I havent really installed anything except auto tune and that was two months ago. the machine is dedicated for PT and nothing else goes on there, no web surfing, no natta. Both times it did happen to the same session though, so i also wonder if the session is possibly corrupt......

Chris,

Cool I didnt know they could test ram like that. Do they check the performance or is it just a continuity test or the like?

Thanks y'all. Hey does anybody know if I can put a xp 3000+ processor in the A7V333 or do I need to have the A7v333-x?

Cool,
Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
Old 04-27-2003, 09:58 AM

It could also be a faulty power supply. I have had a few machines that exhibited similar problems and they needed new power supplies.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:35 PM

interesting. I put a hi po powersupply in it about three months ago.......

Thx

myspace page
Old 04-28-2003, 01:46 AM

ok. before you start yanking your system apart, you could try this:

right-click my computer and select properties. select the advanced tab. in the Startup & Recovery box, click the Settings button. in the window that appears, de-select Automatically Restart then click Ok. click Ok again to exit system properties.

load the troublesome session and try to get it to fault.

if there is a driver conflict or other system critical error, you will end up with the BSOD instead of a reboot and the error message will tell you what the problem is, although it could be somewhat cryptic. note down the error details and check the microsoft knowledge base for suggested solutions.

if you still get reboots instead of the BSOD, check your RAM, VGA card and power supply. there are freeware RAM testers available for download. one is called DocMemory. it requires you to run the application to create a boot disk. you then boot from the floppy and run the memory tests.

it is advisable to run them several times, perhaps even leave it going overnight.

chances are that it is software or power related.

good luck!
Old 04-29-2003, 07:43 AM

i am going to the computer store today to see if I can upgrade the cpu or not. If I can't I'll probably just get a new cpu m/b ram combo anyways, cause it's about that time..... (I gots a big ol mixing gig and NEEED the cpu.)

So far the problem hasnt shown up in anything else, so Im holding on this until I see it on a different session as I am finished with the troubled session.

Thanks for the help though.... I didnt know about that auto restart thing.

myspace page
Old 04-29-2003, 01:49 PM

I had the problem of the restarts and big crashes some days ago. The problem also was with one session, specifically, when taking out the LA2A plugin (bombfactory) from a stereo track. Because this problem and others (and because somehow I like to do it), I reformatted the drives and reinstalled windows (XP) and Pro Tools, and when I open the rebel session... THE SAME PROBLEM.

I start a new session, imported the audio files and copy all the settings and had no problem till now.

So, in my opinion, your problem is not with your machine (as I first thought with mine) but a corrupted session.

¿Someone knows why a session can be corrupted and how avoid it?

mario
512 RAM
2xMAXTOR 40G
Old 07-06-2003, 12:38 AM

I've got a similar problem with totally random restarts; A7V333, AMD XP2000+ CPU and 512 RAM (Win98SE, 450W PSU, more fans that you can shake a stick at, single RAM stick).

First I thought it was the power supply, upgraded that and no change. I may be a faulty COP (CPU Overheat Protection) which shuts off the computer if the chip gets too hot ...but even if you set the cutoff temp in the BIOS to like 90`C it still shuts off whenever it feels like it.

Then I swapped out a Matrox G450 display card (as I had been getting a lot of twitchy monitor days) for an ATI Radeon 7000 dual-head. Essentially the same as before although not crashing *as much*.

It then transpires after a bit of hunting around that the Asus A7V333 mobo is picky with it's choice of RAM sticks (see list below for recommended types). I'm a bit pissed of buying spare parts just to check my bloody mobo! So if anyone has an A7V333, and uses one of the RAM sticks below AND has got 100% stability - then please reply [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Dan

(from the ASUS A7V333 website)
Vendor...Type.....Size....Model
Nanya....PC2700...256MB...NT5DS16M8AT-6
Samsung..PC2700...128MB...K4H280838D-TCB3
Samsung..PC2700...256MB...K4H280838D-TCB3
Micron...PC2700...128MB...MT8VDDT1664AG-335B1
Micron...PC2700...256MB...MT16VDDT1664AG-335B1
KINGMAX..PC2700...128MB...MPMA82D-68KX3
KINGMAX..PC2700...256MB...MPM62D-68KX3