Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Does anyone know a way to setup a talkback mic...

I tried the search function, but came up with nothing usefull so...

What I want to do is setup a talkback mic in my studio, and in my control room that's on all the time, allowing easy communication with the performers, but will shut off when I hit play or record. Kind of like the talkback mic on an SSL console. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Does anyone know a way to setup a talkback mic...

use an aux input with a gate (set to duck) on it that is keyed by a bus that you assign several of your tracks to. when the tracks play the ducker keeps aux track muted. i used to do this with the TC track back in the tape days.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:56 AM

Is the only gate that has a duck mode the Drammer?

STeve
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM

I actually use a compressor for this purpose instead of a gate because most plug-in gates don't have a duck function. If you set the threshold low enough and the ratio high enough it accomplishes pretty much the same thing.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Does anyone know a way to setup a talkback mic

Hi,

I know the question is asking how to do this within Pro Tools but I'd just like to share with you that I just purchased a Dangerous Monitor ST, and it's been one of the most useful pieces of gear I have bought in some time. Solves all kinds of headaches, and generally makes life a lot easier; especially when dealing with artists and cue monitoring.

Check it here: http://dangerousmusic.com/

- JSR
Old 05-03-2006, 12:03 PM

Ever since I went 'boardless' and use a Coleman Audio M3 monitor control (which has no talkback function), I use a Shure 522 dispatch mic going into an aux channel that's always on (the mic has a momentary on-off switch) and can be assigned anywhere you need. I use it for ISDN communication as well. Kind of Neanderthal, but it works:

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/522.asp
Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 PM

Another option for Talkback is The Mackie Big Knob. It's not as nice as the Dangerous Monitor ST but it only costs about $280.00 It's worth checking out. It won't however automatically switch on and off as you go into Record or Play.