Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2022, 01:15 PM

Default Re: macOS Monterey 12.6

Yes, someone please help!! I was migrating my macbook (monteray 12.5.1) over to my new mac mini and it slipped in an upgrade to monteray 12.6 and now pro tools won't work! I need help. The only solution I'm seeing is to downgrade the mac mini back to 12.5.1 but that's a big undertaking and I'm still hopeful there's some sort of work around. I've tried several solutions on my own but looking for additional ideas/recommendations!!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:41 PM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Whatever works with 12.5 will also works with 12.6 so here is the big question: HOW did you migrate your stuff? If you did it with Migration Assasin I am not surprised you have random problems.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:43 PM

PT is working fine on 12.6 for a lot of people, so that's probably not the real problem.

Are you using Migration Assistant or are you installing things from scratch? Migration Assistant is essentially useless for moving applications.

Dominic
Old 10-12-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Whatever works with 12.5 will also works with 12.6 so here is the big question: HOW did you migrate your stuff? If you did it with Migration Assasin I am not surprised you have random problems.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-12-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdygirl View Post
Yes, someone please help!! I was migrating my macbook (monteray 12.5.1) over to my new mac mini and it slipped in an upgrade to monteray 12.6 and now pro tools won't work! I need help. The only solution I'm seeing is to downgrade the mac mini back to 12.5.1 but that's a big undertaking and I'm still hopeful there's some sort of work around. I've tried several solutions on my own but looking for additional ideas/recommendations!!
What do you mean by "pro tools won't work?"

And I'd definitely reinstall major apps from scratch, even if your migration was otherwise successful. Though, as others have said, I'd not migrate if it were me.

Download PT 2022.9 and let it reinstall.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Little useful information here for anybody to actually help you.

What exact Mac Mini? and Macbook? esp. are they Apple silicon or not?

But good comments so far.

How exactly are you trying to launch Pro Tools? Double clicking the icon in /Applications? Double clicking a session file? What exactly happens? Icon bounces in the dock? Splash screen appears (and says what... gets to what stage???) and then disappears? You get an error message? What exactly? Describe everything.

Again how exactly did you migrate to the new Mac?

If unsure/you can't sort out quickly, wipe and do a fill clean macOS install on the new Mac, install Pro Tools and ILM only, start up using build in output and confirm that works from a test account. Then install plugins, any other apps etc. Test again. And then use Migration Assassin to then only move over the user account and docs. Check stuff works as you go. Do it in the exact order described.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm running 12.6 and so far it seems good, and may have fixed periodic UI pauses/beachballs that were making Monterey ugly for me. I still have not tracked that down. Hope to find time to work on it/see if I can find what changed.
I’m seeing some UI issues with 12.6. The meters for VCA tracks are out of alignment in both the Edit and Mix windows.

Mac Pro 7.1, PT Ultimate 2022.9
Old 10-13-2022, 02:47 AM

BTW I've been mentioning Monterey problems on my 2019 Intel MBP, not Pro Tools specific, ... turns out one was maybe very specific to me where using Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS, maybe with Apple location services disabled, caused Cloudflare to serve DNS from Australia (this Mac is in California), with consequential high latency. Combine that with what is not atypical poor mDNSResolver behavior seemed to be one cause of the system jerky response/UI pauses at times. Anyhow Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 is now dead to me. Still looking at remaining issues.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Well adding to all of the very good and relevant comments thus far, and trying to glean just a little more information to try to help; what version of Pro Tools are you trying to run? What was the last macOS version that you ran it on?

Looking at your public profile to try to get more information to help I see:
System Details
macOS Monteray 12.6
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
16 GB
Pro Tools 12.9?

I don't know if anyone else has tested this combination.

Avid warned against upgrading to macOs 10.13.4/Pro Tools 12 combination. See the details >>here<<

Perhaps if you are, in fact, running Pro Tools 12.XX it won't run on macOS 12.6 at all. Try using Pro Tools intro to see if that works for you, and perhaps it is time to update Pro Tools so that you can run it on your current machine and OS combination.

Just a thought

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 10-18-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
BTW I've been mentioning Monterey problems on my 2019 Intel MBP, not Pro Tools specific, ... turns out one was maybe very specific to me where using Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 DNS, maybe with Apple location services disabled, caused Cloudflare to serve DNS from Australia (this Mac is in California), with consequential high latency. Combine that with what is not atypical poor mDNSResolver behavior seemed to be one cause of the system jerky response/UI pauses at times. Anyhow Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 is now dead to me. Still looking at remaining issues.
Hey Darryl... I'm on a 2019 MBP i7 right now, locked on Mojave/PT 2020.12.1 and smooth as silk. But, Monterey is likely my next move.

Is Monterey 12.5.1 and PT 2022.9 the (hopefully solid) way forward on my rig? (Of course I'll probably do it on its own partition, just in case...)

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors