Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 11:21 PM

Default Apogee Rosetta with a Lucid 9624 D/A converter

Hey,

I'm about to purchase an Apogee Rosetta. That's all I'm getting for the time being; however, I do have a question about later purchasing a D/A converter.

I understand the Rosetta has to be the master clock in my Digi setup. I don't anticipate a problem with that now. But later, when I add a D/A converter (probably the Lucid 9624 DA), will everything still function properly? In other words, will the Lucid be happy slaving to the Rosetta also?

I am eventually envisioning a mixing setup that will allow me to have two channels of sends and returns that don't have to go through the Digi converters so I want to be sure my A/D and D/A converters will all work at the same time.

Does anybody have a similar setup? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael Bell
Old 03-26-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Apogee Rosetta with a Lucid 9624 D/A converter

Why not just get an AD/DA now? They'll both run off the same internal clock (which is better) and it's probably cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:28 AM

You would probably spend less money if you
just save up and purchase an Apogee Trak 2
with the optional D/A card.
www.altomusic.com sells them for $2700.

This way, you'll get 2 world class mic pre's
and 2 channels of killer A to D and arguably
the best master clock you can buy, all in one
unit. Add the optinal D to A card and you're
fully set!
Old 03-26-2002, 09:57 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions.

You are both proposing an interesting idea. I'll have to think about that. I just purchased a two channel pre-amp (Great River MP-2NV - still en route) so I'm not sure I'd get the full value out of having a Trak 2 in my rig. How good are the Trak 2 pre's? Are they in the same neighborhood as the MP-2NV?

Also, I'm not specifically looking for D/A capability right now. It would be nice to monitor through such a unit, but my real thinking was for future needs.

For example, when I can scrape the money together for a high-end compressor, then I might want to use a send to compress drums or even the whole mix. However, I might not have the money for that leap for another year or so. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't permanently ruling out the possibility of adding a D/A converter in the future by going with the Rosetta.

So I guess I'm still wondering whether there would be any specific problems with clocking the Digi 001 and a D/A converter off the Rosetta.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:23 AM

Get this: http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/...Product_ID=853 ...nuff said.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:53 PM

I thought I'd update the post after additional research in case any body else has a similar question in the future.

I spoke with Samara at Mercenary Audio and confirmed that one can run the configuration I proposed. The Lucid D/A would clock off the S/PDIF output (or ADAT optical for that matter). Thus, it is possible to have a Rosetta A/D on the front end and an independent D/A converter on the digital output.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:04 PM

It would have to clock via the audio inputs ..... it doesn't have a WC input. In any event I bet it would be a great sounding system.

Tony
Old 03-28-2002, 05:55 PM

if you own both converters your rocking dude good luck on your tracks next step is a good mic pre buy it used ther just as new [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2002, 04:52 PM

another option would be to use a master clock generator and connect the outs to the clock in of your AD and DA converter.