Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 AM

Default PT for Sound design?

I am looking at Sound design for adverts etc and wondered if most engineers do this all in PT?

Im talking about weird amospheric sounds/metallic ambience/that you hear on feature films and adverts, all synced to picture.

I take it all this is done within PT as part of this industry?

But are sounds re-pitched etc in PT itself and sculpted? or is Reaktor used or smoehting like that, and recorded into PT.

I use Sony Acid a little and any sound in there can be re-pitched up and down to make fx easier, Why the Elastic Audio HASNT got a pitch shifting setting i dont know?! I suppose this could be on the cards?

So what are people using? synths? or Sample CD's for foley/sound design? or are they using PT to mangle stuff within the edit window?

Im on Mac with PTLE at the moment, and just getting into PT..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Default Re: PT for Sound design?

Wow, I'm surprised your post hasn't generated the nearly obligatory avalanche of flames and smart ass comments that usually follow simple, innocent questions like this...

But anyway, yes of course PT is used for sound design. A lot. Really a lot. But I would say that more often than not, PT is used as one of several tools by most Sound Designers. The main one perhaps, but not the only one.

All of the applications and methods you mentioned, and many more, are used for sound design. Basically, absolutely anything is fair game if it gets you the end result you're after. But sound design is not just sitting in front of a computer twiddling things digitally.

Most, if not all Sound Designers spend plenty of time in the field with a microphone (sometimes several microphones, along with a few assistants) actually recording elements for the project they're working on.

Google "sound design" and you'll find a lot of information (as usual some will be crap but some will be extremely helpful). Check out filmsound.org for some interesting articles and the "Pro Tools Post & Surround" forum here on the DUC for some really great discussion, plenty of which is about sound design in some way.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 02-15-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Wow, I'm surprised your post hasn't generated the nearly obligatory avalanche of flames and smart ass comments that usually follow simple, innocent questions like this...
Give it time, give it time. Most of the smart asses aren't awake yet.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:04 AM

I forgot to add - except one.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I forgot to add - except one.
Make that two! My uh, "crack" about smart asses was pretty smart ass-ish in itself eh?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I use Sony Acid a little and any sound in there can be re-pitched up and down to make fx easier, Why the Elastic Audio HASNT got a pitch shifting setting i dont know?! I suppose this could be on the cards?
Elastic audio indeed has a pitch shift setting called varispeed. You can enable a track for elastic audio, select varispeed from the elastic audio plugin selector (rather than Plyphonic, Monophonic or Rhythmic) and then view Region > Elastic Properties to adjust the TCE Factor up or down to pitch shift your region. Works a charm and has seriously sped up my workflow in PT.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 AM

Thanks Noisyscott!

I have tried the methoad you describe above however, When on Varispeed, and open the elastic properties, I see a small box called "TCE Factor" = 127.08%"

Although I see it, I cant seem to select and change/drag it up and down?

Is this the box thay you meant for changing pitch? or have I mis-understood?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM

Where do kids come from? The answer is - woman gives a birth.
But this would be too simple.
There is a mother and farther. There are some stories of relationship, love, difficult decisions, sex, health limitation, pain e.t.c e.t.c.
Same applies to sound design. Its very complicated process. The target is a harmony of dialogues, effects, atmospheres and music which serve the picture.
Too many things can compile an easy sound effect. Because a human perception of hearing is one of the most mysterious things.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Yes buckaroo, that sounds like the property box I was describing which is definitely where I adjust the speed and pitch of the selected region.

I am sorry, but I have no idea why you would not be able to adjust the TCE property, nor why you would have any value other than 100 in there by default. You should probably check the PT Reference guide and go through "Chapter 26: Elastic Audio" to make sure that you aren't missing anything in your setup or workflow.

Good luck,
Scott
Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks Noisyscott!

I have tried the methoad you describe above however, When on Varispeed, and open the elastic properties, I see a small box called "TCE Factor" = 127.08%"

Although I see it, I cant seem to select and change/drag it up and down?

Is this the box thay you meant for changing pitch? or have I mis-understood?

Thanks
my guess is that you are in "ticks" mode rather than "samples". In ticks you get a couple of different options, one of which is source tempo.. and that relatively changes the tce factor. you do not get the operable TCE FACTOR window that you would in sample mode. noisyscott makes a good suggestion as not fully understanding the tick/samples aspects can lead to some new head pains... as well as in other anatomical regions. good luck, SB