Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Default artist control and talkback with PT 10

Hi, I have an artist control on order...just want to know how the control is used as a talkback. I have the mic and a pre...So basically, what will the Control offer that I can't do by simply muting and unmuting an aux trk?

Thanks for anything anyone can offer.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 AM

Default Re: artist control and talkback with PT 10

As far as i'm aware to use the talkback function you need to use the Studio Monitor Express software which is at best, unfortunately not good. The SME manual explains how to set this up.
Your other option is to, like you say set up an aux channel, and assign that to a fader on the artist control, so it remain available even when you bank the channels.

I still prefer a dedicated system and highly recommend the Presonus Monitor Station http://www.presonus.com/products/Monitor-Station

There are so many great things the Artist control can do, this in my opinion is not one of them. Maybe the SME software will be updated soon, and this will then become a viable solution.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:19 AM

Thanks...I actually went a similar route with the Samson C Control...Don't need anything for actual monitoring, as we are using the UA Apollo...just need a simple talkback mic. Thanks for suggestion.

It's a shame that no one thinks about the TB mic when they build so-called "monitor" controllers....just don't get it. Not even SSL Nucleus has one...I mean, are we not communicating with the talent any longer?

Then Avid comes out with the Artist Transport...a bit redundant, but still...NO TB!!! unreal..really.

Avid, if you are listening, why would you NOT include one of the most important communication devices into the artist series...so that it can be complete? So close and yet so far...it's always the case it seems. Oh well, maybe a future model...
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 AM

I'm pretty sure, a firmware upgrade on the unit combined with a decent piece of software would enable the existing hardware to perform this function... we will have to wait and see..
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 AM

I want to upgrade my studio with PT 10.x and an artist controller & 2x artist mix. Does the studio monitor express software work with PT 10.x, 96 I/O, HD OMNI on my mac (Mac OS X 10.5)? I need a talkback solution for 5.1 Production.