Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Waves/Plugins

I have the dig plugins plus waves 3.5 plugs.

Not that impressed with the digi plugs that come with the 001 but everyone raves about the waves.
Does anyone else think they sound a bit dull?

I've been used to mixing on a yamaha digital mixer and the yammy reverbs are luch and full. But my mixes on pro tools always sound lifeless and dull.

Is it the plus, is it me? It get's me down and I'm in a right crossroads about where to do my mixes. I want to keep everything in pro tools but I'm tempted to go back to the yammy for mixing.

By the way, does anyone think the yammy reverbs will ever come out as plugs for pro tools?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Waves/Plugins

Do you use the verb plugs on an aux track that you send to and mix with the recorded track, or as an insert directly on the recorded track? Aux gives way more control over the wet/dry mix and avoids that washout.

2 cents.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:44 AM

I also have a Yamaha mixer and Waves Platinum. I tend to use the Yamaha FX/Compression/EQ more than I use the waves for general mixing applications. It sounds very natural and full, with more flexibility and control than Waves (and of course no CPU drain)
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 01-26-2004, 02:25 PM

Can't you set the Yamaha effects as a send loop through your digi00whatever? Then you can use the Yamaha's effects and still have the flexibility of mixing in PT.

And yeah, a lot of people complain that the waves reverbs aren't that good. I don't think there's anything better out for RTAS LE though.
-Olaf
Old 01-26-2004, 05:32 PM

I think, like it took you a while to learn the sound interaction, and reaction, on your Yamaha board, there is an even bigger learning curve, mixing in pro tools.

I think that once you find the abillity to pull out "Life" in your mixes inside pro-tools, you'll find it 20 times more powerfull, and versatile than your Yamaha mixer.

I was married for many years to my console, and my lexicon rev, for even rough mixes to give the client, it was a hard habbit to break, but now I'm glad I've spent the time "in the box"

Now, I can get my mix to a place where i'm happy, inside the box, and if i get the budget, and the chance to send each output up a strip on a Neve console, life is all the more merrier.

unless you were using some serious class A discrete mixing desk, like a Neve, API, SSL.... i couldn't forsee an external mixer lending you anything you can't do right in the box.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 01-26-2004, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I was married for many years to my console, and my lexicon rev, for even rough mixes to give the client, it was a hard habbit to break, but now I'm glad I've spent the time "in the box"

Can I ask, what you use instead of your Lex reverb? Any plugins in particular for reverb?

I'm trying to keep everything 'in the box' too, and am looking at the different options available. Thx.

-Neo
Old 01-27-2004, 01:20 AM

Well - I didn't give up the lexicon so easilly, or "right away" I used / still occasionally use it, and a quadreverb, as hardware inserts out of the 001 through aux channels, I have to say though, after much tweaking i've got a few - dither - delay - d-verb - 4band EQ - presets that i like, and i've more recently (the last week) been using the Waves IR-1 Parametric Convolution Reverb, it's pretty spectacular, and i've already build 7 or 8 presets I like, I've replaced the reverb, in several "works in progress" sessions, that i've been using the D-verb - R-verb - and hardware inserts, with the IR-1 and it's WAY nicer - cleaner, more wide open - organic - clear sounding.

It's a good purchase in my opinion.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 01-27-2004, 02:19 AM

Try the URS EQ demo's. Very nice. The next pay check will be used to replace my Waves EQ's

http://www.ursplugins.com
Old 01-27-2004, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I've replaced the reverb, in several "works in progress" sessions, that i've been using the D-verb - R-verb - and hardware inserts, with the IR-1 and it's WAY nicer - cleaner, more wide open - organic - clear sounding.

I'm looking at good software alternatives to my Lexicon. I quite like DVerb, and also I have used SIR, but I'm a bit dubious about the quality of impulses freely available on the internet. I tried the IR-1 Demo but for some reason couldn't get it to work on my PC. Short of hearing the demo, I may just take the plunge.

Do you think the IR-1 sounds as good as a Lexicon (or MPX1 in my case )?

Cheers
-Neo
Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Do you think the IR-1 sounds as good as a Lexicon (or MPX1 in my case )?

Cheers
-Neo

Again, I thing the IR-1 is the most tweakable reverb i have met, with more parameters to alter, than even hardware reverbs, therefore, along side of your patience, your learning curve, and your ears, I think the IR-1 is more powerfull, therefore "better sounding" than my Lexicon - Quadreverb - or previous reverb pluggins.

If you'd like, fire me off an e-mail, I'll send you an ftp folder where you can upload a dry audio file (an acoustic instrument, guitar or piano, preferably), a second file, of the same track, effected with what you like to hear out of the lexicon, a txt file of your lexicon parameters, (for a starting point with the IR-1) and I'll apply a reverb, using the IR-1 with your Dry track, that is roughly in the same ball park, stylisticly as your reverb, so that you can hear the tonal difference, there will be a tonal difference, it's up to you to decide weather that it's good, or not.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA