Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Recording through Native Plugs in HDX

Hi guys,

I'm running an HDX-system.
I used to record my guitars live from an amp or via 11r.
From time to time I'd love to use Guitar Rig, but it just doesn't work, as (of course) PT bypasses all native plugs in the channel as soon as I record enable it.

Is there an option to make it work or some kind of work around ?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Recording through Native Plugs in HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocontrol View Post
Hi guys,

I'm running an HDX-system.
I used to record my guitars live from an amp or via 11r.
From time to time I'd love to use Guitar Rig, but it just doesn't work, as (of course) PT bypasses all native plugs in the channel as soon as I record enable it.

Is there an option to make it work or some kind of work around ?
Place a DSP plugin (Trim) in front of it. Keep in mind, you will be subject to twice the buffer size in latency. You'll likely need to have your buffer at 128 or less.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM

Use an aux track as the input track then route to an audio track for recording. Put your plugs on the aux input. When the audio tracks are record enabled the aux plugs stay active.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Use an aux track as the input track then route to an audio track for recording. Put your plugs on the aux input. When the audio tracks are record enabled the aux plugs stay active.
If you do that, then your plugins will be PRINTED to your record track, which is not necessarily what you want. The DSP plugin-in-front-of-native-plugin trick will spare you that. In both cases, you will add quite a lot of monitoring latency, If you set your buffer as low as possible, that may be workable. Or not. OTOH, if you are running a native system, your native plugin will stay active, and no such tricks will be required. And there will be no "added" latency from a trip from the card to the host, and back. Because it's on the host to begin with. This is a good argument for going HDN, which already has low latency due to the PCIe (or TB) interface, which is a very fast path. When using PT vanilla (no card), with a fw or usb interface, then you have quite a bit more latency, due in part to the large amount of fw or usb driver overhead. In that case, TDM or HDX with the aforementioned kludge (DSP in front of native) will still be faster, as bad as it is.

To sum up, HDX with DSP plugins, or HDN with native plugins, is reasonable latency-free, and works very well. Clients don't complain. Anything else (including tracking with HDX with native plugins) is a compromise, from a latency-tracking scenario. Mixing is another story. But if you are trying to record and MONITOR latency-free, HDX with native plugins in the monitor path is not gonna give you that.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 AM

The only reason to go through a plugin at the recording stage would be to print it. Otherwise do it after the fact. You either want that sound or you don't. Personally I would never want to track through a plug but the implication is that the desired sound is in the plugs.

You could do the reverse and run the output of an audio track, record enabled and all, to an aux with plugs for monitoring. Same idea, different execution.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:53 PM

The OP is talking about recording guitar using an amp sim. The DI guitar signal for sure wouldn't be very awesome to play to. There are also many other reasons to need to record through a plugin, FX, modulation, distortion etc..
Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 PM

Just track using the Eleven Rack to drive the monitor. There really are not good enough sims there to montior with? You can always reamp that later with any other amp sim plugin.

You also have AAX-DSP options for Eleven plugins, softtube and maybe others.