Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Dual Monitor displays, The G5 & Protools

Hey Guys I currently run a mix+ system with an ATI 8500 that gives me Dual VGA monitor displays from my G4 450dp. I am upgrading to the new HD & g5 combo in the next week or two and I would love any advice on the best video card for the G5 to accomidate my Dual monitors. Anyone have some advice? Thank You!

Rob King
Old 10-10-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Dual Monitor displays, The G5 & Protools

All G5s ship with dual digital display cards (ADC & DVI). All you need is one ADC to DVI adapter and two DVI to VGA adapters and you're all set.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:35 PM

Dr. Bott makes an ADC to VGA extractor available at most mac stores, so you just need one ADC->VGA and one DVI->VGA. The DVI->VGA is included with the G5 in the box, so that just leaves one $30 ADC->DVI adaptor to buy and you're all set.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:38 PM

Well this is all true UNLESS you ever plan to upgrade your monitors to dual 30 inch Apple Cinema Displays... Then to run them you MUST get that new NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL... That is the ONLY card available that runs them 30 inch displays, even if you only wanted ONE 30" display...

It also is just the plain best video card out there today all the way around.......

Other than that, if you do NOT plan on getting a (or 2) 30 inch Apple Cinema Disaplys, what filmixer and SlimShady told you is 100% on point, and ANY G5 shipped gives you the abilty to run dual monitors (except for the 30's) --- And Dr. Bot is THA PLACE too !!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:23 AM

don't forget that the card required to use the 30" display
renders the first PCI slot useless and Digidesign requires that the core card be used in that first PCI slot. So at this time I dont see a work around for this combo

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 10-11-2004, 09:06 AM

Great. Thanks for all the tips guys. I appreciate it.

Rob King
Old 10-11-2004, 01:58 PM

Quote:
don't forget that the card required to use the 30" display
renders the first PCI slot useless and Digidesign requires that the core card be used in that first PCI slot. So at this time I dont see a work around for this combo
YES, there is a workaround for that combo. I have a friend rockin' HD 4 Accel with a G5 and that card, and SCSI drives up the yang.... You use (which you have to anyway on a G5 if you have above a HD 3 sysytem because they ripped us off of extra PCI slots) a Magma 64 bit PCI Expansion Chassis. You plug the expansion chassis into a PCI slot on your G5, THEN use the expansion chassis as if it were the computer, and follow the recommended config for what in what slots...
Old 10-11-2004, 02:16 PM

off topic, but wat was the point in not keeping the 5 PCI slot config on the G5? Besides costwise (i guess) I dont see how it would change the design of the G5, maybe an inch or so taller but I would have wanted that 5th port. Thats my rant!
Old 10-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
off topic, but wat was the point in not keeping the 5 PCI slot config on the G5? Besides costwise (i guess) I dont see how it would change the design of the G5, maybe an inch or so taller but I would have wanted that 5th port. Thats my rant!
YES !! My point exactly .. And it is NOT a rant, it is a simple observation, that leads to a request. I called Apple on it several times.. As they said they were just trying to make it more streamline. AND alot of people were not using the PCI slots anyway.. Well I told them, ALOT of people are. and ALOT of people would like to see it with 5 OR MORE PCI slots... I gave them my complaint/request, and he noted it, and documented it. He did say if enough people called and spoke on it, that it could make a difference in the next release of a G5 ...

So my request to all concerned like me IS : Call Apple, and put in your word. MAKE sure they document it, and tell them WHY you are making the request. NOT because you just want the receptionist on the phone to hear you,,BUT to make sure it goes to the documented area of the public people/Apple owners complaint/request section. MAKE sure they do that, and not just say," uh huh, uh huh, got you sir" -- Make sure it goes to where it HAS/is SUPPOSE to.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:37 PM

Oh yeh. I forgot about the Dr. Bott thingy. I haven't used VGA displays for years. Thanks.

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0117-ADCV