Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Strike - Content Size

filo,i will be down for a few days, girlfriend is coming into town. as soon as i can i got a few things i want to try. sol let me know anything you find and i will get back on it asap. curious how many other people are experiencing this???

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 PM

You will still have load issues with 4 gigs of ram. Just not as many. There's not a ton of difference between the default, 250, 400 settings. 800 and unlimited so far don't really seem to be actually usable, by that I mean what's the difference - I don't really hear it. Theoretically you would use the extra memory for extra instruments or better samples, but I have neither heard nor seen either. So, I keep it way low ram when tracking and then when I mix (and do a clean boot and all that) I try and jack it up a little hoping for a little more quality, but I think it is all in my mind. One thing that does work is to load it at it's lowest setting and then click the next highest, and move it up gradually.

There's also a free utility I like called Wincleaner Memory Optimizer - at timed intervals or when you click on it, it clears wasted space out of your memory. Also, I forget where, but there is a setting in Windows that allows your computer to eject *.dll files out of ram that haven't moved in some kind of time frame. These two memory tweaks really make a difference in the Strike squeeze.

Another thing that makes a difference in the Strike squeeze is going into administrative tools and working with the services. Don't do this if you cannot figure out what to change, hit the web and do some searches and get suggestions. I have disabled some of these services and others have been set to manual when they were set to automatically start. You'd be surprised how much stuff in there you do not need, especially if you are not on a network!

You can also uncheck many of these services from MSCONFIG.

Anyway, blah blah blah

- Casey
Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 PM

Hows things Casey, you raise some interesting points and good suggestions in combating this, thanks, these I'll try.

Ummm... as for Sample loading, it's about potential possibilities not Sample quality (given the context of your statement), in the words of the Strike Plug-In Guide 'lower values (Content Size) limit the range of expressive nuance' in other words limiting your potential possibilities. One word 'Automation' I like to make my drummer sweat.

filo
Old 04-21-2007, 12:32 AM

There's a Strike Plug-in Guide?

Ah, so that makes sense - the nuance thing - I have noticed an uneven quality to the more tweaky settings - such as playing dynamics (a very powerful knob that one - which works kind of in reverse by the way!). And sometimes the complexity and intensity settings don't seem to do much - THIS IS WHY - GOOD TO KNOW - I'm glad somebody's reading the manual out there!

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2007, 12:44 AM

filo
Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 PM

hey guys, thought i would see what has been said. thank you jim for your reply. my quad is seriously tweaked and optimized, all the quad standards for the asus board came from my machine, so there had to be a lot of tweaking!! that for sure is not an issue. i will also disable my sound card in the bios and both my cd burners, when i need the serious tracking power, but that is still not making a difference with this loading. i will check out the wincleaner memory optimizer. i have not tried it. i use system mechanic for this, but i can not do it with a session running. is anyone able to load an "unlimited" content???? will try some more stuff this week on it.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
is anyone able to load an "unlimited" content????
May I add, 'without the dialog message - to reduce'.

filosofem
Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 PM

last night during a session, i opened strike before reason. when i went to open reason i got an error message in reason saying there is not enough memory!!!!! this is stupid!! all this ram, how much is strike using???? i had it set to 400 mb, and had 2 instances of it open, 800 mb..... thats quite a bit less than a gig?? has to be using more, there has to be some serious performance issues with this plug.

i toyed around and experimented. got the session to 1 instance of strike by sacraficing a bit, and finding the button to route the oh and room mic of that instrument through the same channel as the direct mic. then using individaul outs for the kick and snare, so i had the kick routed to one stereo aux with control of the room and oh mics, and same for the snare, this though i must say is a VERY nice feature.

hopefully i will have time to do some trial and error stuff on it soon and try to figure out the performance issues on my machine at least. any luck on your side of mother earth filo??

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Now don't quote me on this, did I hear or read, Strike having the ability to 'intelligently analyse' system specs and enforce the appropriate adjustments?

filo
Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 AM

Hey filsofem. Did you find a fix for this? im havening this problem when i just open Strike that is already on a session. It plays fine then when i open the plug to do some editing The content size error pops up??! im running 6 GIGS of Corsair ram..wtf?! why is this happening? my specs

Tyan Mobo
2 X Opteron 270
6 Gigs of Corsair ram
3 hard drives 1 for system, 1 for record, 1 samples/library's